Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2010 7:12:14 AM

Hey was wondering if these temps seem normal to you guys

Setup

AMD 965 125 Watt
Cooler master v8
Not O'Ced

Idle 31C Load 51C

1st time running a 125 watt cpu , i was planing on pushing this up to maybe 4ghz but my load temp seems a little high or is that normal? if it isn't then i may have used to much paste or didn't mount my fan properly. wanted to check in with you guys before i check the fan since it was pretty difficult getting on since have to pull out my mobo.

More about : amd 965 temps paranoid

January 9, 2010 11:31:15 AM

Load temps are fine.
Just OC it and then see what temps are like.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 2:23:39 PM

anything under 65c at load is considered perfect for a good air cooler
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 5:22:46 PM

51c load on stock voltage/clock? That's actually kind of high for a after market cooler. I mean the V8 is not that bad of a cooler. I'd recommend you re-seat the v8, and since your taking out the heat sink your going to have to reapply thermal paste if you got any. You can always OC the processor to see if your temperatures stay at 51c.

Get some Tuniq X-2 or Arctic Silver 5. Both are usually better purchased at a hardware brick and mortars store because on Newegg shipping is gonna eat your savings up. Unless of course you order a few things from newegg to make shipping worth it.

Also mind giving us some more specs:

Motherboard/Case are what interest me at the moment. (let me know if you have added case fans, if so how many and what size and for what direction intake or exhaust.)
m
l
January 9, 2010 5:25:04 PM

yea, what kind of airflow do you have in your case, becuase thats a nice cooler.
m
l
January 9, 2010 10:10:17 PM

I got 4 120mm Fans running on my antec 182, 2 intake 2 exhaust. also i don't have my side panel on. As for my motherboard, I'm running a new GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA with Sata 6 and usb3

m
l
January 9, 2010 10:42:15 PM

no side panel on? Why not? if you have that many fans, keep the side on. Or see if it stays cooler with it on, or with it off.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2010 3:17:00 AM

Side panel fans have proven to be... disturbing for air flow. Specially high capacity ones.

I would recommend you re seat the heat sink/use tuniq tx-2 or arctic silver 5. You can use the current thermal pad or paste if it's still in uniform condition meaning all the grease on the cpu or all the grease on the heat sink.
m
l
January 10, 2010 1:25:46 PM

nofx4021 said:
I got 4 120mm Fans running on my antec 182, 2 intake 2 exhaust. also i don't have my side panel on. As for my motherboard, I'm running a new GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA with Sata 6 and usb3

I did the same w/ my new AMD/ATI and got the exact same readings, then I installed the left side panel and one of the side panel fans and got lower temps. The V8 benefits when the case is closed and airflow is moving in a direction that is beneficial to it.

I myself am going to run a few more tests, I'll let you know if I find out more.

I also replaced that ridiculous fan that's included w/ the cooler w/ a GELID PWM fan so I don't have to deal w/ the fan control knob and let the MOBO do all the work, it helped quiet up the cooler quite a bit.

I also used Arctic Silver Ceramique and took my time spreading it w/ a credit card. I mean like a good 45 minutes, so I don't think it's the seating.
m
l
!