Need help evaluating over clocking results

G

Well, i am just finished with over clocking my system ( i think).

Keep in mind that i dont really know much about over clocking, so i need help in deciding if what i have done is correct, and if i can assume this is a safe and stable system.

Computer specs:

CORSAIR FULL TWR OBSIDIAN SERIES 800D
COOLERMASTER Hyper212 Plus
CORSAIR Power Supply 850W HX
CORSAIR 4GB (KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/ CL7/ DOMINATOR GT
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6, P55, Socket-1156
XFX HD 5970

Over clocking process :

To start with i tried to understand my system. I have 1600 Mhz RAM which the mother board supports, but the i7-860 has a FSB of 133 and this only supports a memory speed of 1333.

First i went into the bios and set the RAM timing to 7-7-7-20. I then set the multiplier to 10 so it was running at 133x10 =1333

I then went altered the Base Clock (BCKL) from 133 to 160 directly. Just choose this since it would make the RAM operate at 1600 Mhz. The CPU was now running at 160x22=3,5 Ghz

I then did a torture test with prime95 for 15 mins and everything was fine.

See below pictures from CPU-Z

So, the big question is. Did i do this correctly? And can i safetly use this settings?

G

Yeah, i live in norway :) Been -30 degrees C these last days :)

So you think i should push it further? Keep in mind i havent touched anything else then the RAM timing and BCKL. Voltage and everything else is on auto cause i dont know anything about this.

BTW! Is it correct that the RAM memory speed scales directly with the Base clock?

G

Just tried to push the BCKL to 180, but the computer didnt boot then :) guess it could work if i increased voltage etc, but that is a lvl of over clocking i dont dare try.

G

Tried 170 and the system booted and seem to be stable, running stress testing now.

But is it ok that the RAM run at a non standard speed? I mean, no RAM modules run at 1700 Mhz....The CPU is now running at 3.7ish.

Got 2 questions:

1) The system no longer seems to be speeding down at idle, the cpu is running at a multiplier of 22 even at idle (it ramped down before i over clocked)
2) Is it possible to test if the turbo boost works? The prima sofware stresses all CPUs, so i guess its a bad tool for testing the turbo boost while over clocked.

G

Been reading around abit, and i belive the temperatures i am getting during stressing with prime is to high. They are in the area 75-80 and i see alot of ppl saying that you shouldnt go past 70.

My core voltage also drops during the stress testing with prime. At idle the core volt is 1.29 and it drops to 1.245 when stressing. Is this normal?

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
You need to tune your vcore and vtt voltages. Since you left them on auto it is probably running more like at 1.35v. you need to crank that down a little.

What are the temps at stock speeds?

Been reading around abit, and i belive the temperatures i am getting during stressing with prime is to high. They are in the area 75-80 and i see alot of ppl saying that you shouldnt go past 70.

On the 920, i think of the limit as having 3 outta 4 cores below a max of 72 ....if 1st one hits 73,74 i don't worry as P95 is unlike anything we'd actually run.

My core voltage also drops during the stress testing with prime. At idle the core volt is 1.29 and it drops to 1.245 when stressing. Is this normal?

Called vdroop .... d/l OCCT and run the torture tests, it will display and graph voltage and temps throughout the test.
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php

You probably wanna drop your mem multiplier to 8 once you get much past 160 BCLK.

Agree w/ shocked guy, drop voltages....not familiar with your CPU but many peeps have their 920's below 1.15 volts ... mine's at 1.125

G

Im having some problems understanding one thing.

I tried to lower my cpu vcore in the bios. First set it to 1.2 with BCLK at 170. The pc booted but got an error on the prime testing. Increased it to 1.25 and the stress testing with prime went ok. Core temperatures dropped from maks 80 to maks 70, which i guess is still abit to high, but i cant lower the vcore anymore. Does that mean i have to reduce the BLCK?

And even though i set the vcore to 1.2 in the bios CPU-Z only reports a vcore of 1,216 during idle and lower at stressing.

G

Cant edit the above text, but last sentance is wrong.

I mean that even though i set vcore to 1.25 in the bios the CPU-Z reports a vcore of 1,216.....

Henerally, higher vCore's are req'd for higher overclocks. At lower BCLK's, peeps will start at say 1.25v and then adjust settings to see how high they can go....then they will lower vCore to the lowest stable voltage. At more serious OC's, they might start at 1.35 or even 1.40, and again, once reaching their target, lower VCore top the lowest working setting.

The difference between BIOS setting and measured voltage is called vDroop