Brick wall from FSB 280 to 281? E5200

pktaske

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
My E5200 ran pretty good @280 w/12 mutliplier for my first oc attempt. As I was mimicing Toms May budget build, I left it @ 3.50ghz for a couple days as I loaded all my software. I was thinking I got a decent chip as I was able to squeeze my voltage down to under 1.20 with no issues. Temps at max were maybe 48C on the cores. However, when I pushed it a bit last nite to 281, it would not even post. Ran the voltage slowly up to 1.37 (!!) and still nothing. Set everything back to my original OC specs and she's sweet again. My ? is, in everything I've been reading, I don't recall people failing to post with such a small incremental increase, especially that she was so stable to begin with. Is something maybe set or hardcoded into my Bios that is doing this to 'protect' my chip? I/m running a G41 chipset and a GiGaBT MB. Sorry if this is as stupid as my last post! thnks....

oc_4life

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
try disabling legacy USB support or USB storage...

also try 333FSB and backing down the multi

if it works with a lower multi and a higher FSB then you either need more voltage or you are at the max your chip can do... also you might mess with chipset voltages and/or reference voltages

oc_4life

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

sometimes its more of a FSB hole than a FSB wall

Being a fan of Gigabyte motherboards, I bet you are inadvertently overclocking your memory and that is limiting your CPU overclock.

Check your system memory multiplier. The SPD value is probably set to AUTO. Change it to manual, then when the multipliers come up, set it to 2.00.

At this point, the mem freq should be twice the FSB. Once it shows twice the FSB, continue to try to push the FSB up.

I was able to reach 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12) at around 1.35 volts. Then I hit the proverbial brick wall. My E5200 has a pretty high VID (1.28 volts). :(

pktaske

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
It was set to auto. When I went to change it, it only gane me a mutiplier of 4.0 (not 2). It si a DDDR3 board if it matter. Thanks and looking forward to your answer.

pktaske

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Damn, I can't crack this one. I really feel it has to be a MB setting I'm missing. This PC runs so smooth and cool at 3.50, low voltage and all. Push to 3.51 and she don't want to come out and play.

If I really can't squeeze anymore, is the MB or the chip? thanks..

OP, I was assuming DDR2 memory.

Not expliciitly, but you can select mem clock freqs that will give you the same results. For instance, an FSB of 400 MHz with a memclock freq of 800 MHz gives an FSB:RAM clock ratio of 1:1. In other words the memory is running sychronomously with the CPU.

If for some reason, you run the memory at 400 MHz, that works out to a 2:1 FSB:RAM clock ratio or a divider of two.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

no intel do, just they are labeled differently and not as easy to understand to me at the time.

with my i7's bios, there is a setting to set the memory speed, I was like cool and sets the thing to 1600 level speed, and then increased the base clock to 200 and it didn't boot

then i was told what I was changing was basically what a divider did, and thus the setting was for if you wanted only to OC the ram and put a smaller divider in, and what I did was running the memory wayyyy out of it's spec and thus wound not work

what I needed was to set the memory to the setting called DDR3-800 (I think, but it was lower than the default 1033 or w/e) and then ramp up the base clock to 200, that way, the memory would run at DDR3-1600 and not at some crazy speeds that I had it going at

pktaske

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Still no luck. I think this MB doesn't allow it. That being said, I am happy with 3.50 Ghz and a GTS 250 card that I can push up to an 835 gpu core speed. Nothing ever drops below 35 FPS @ 1650x1050.

TRENDING THREADS