Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What exactly is overclocking ?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2010 7:44:26 PM

Please would somebody tell me what overclocking is ? (in detail)

What do you need to overclock ?

What does overclocking depends on ? (like RAM, CPU, GPU etc.)

What can BE overclocked ? (RAM, CPU, GPU etc.)

Can any computer can be overclocked ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of overclocking ? (temporary/permanent and long-term/short-term)

More about : overclocking

Related resources
January 9, 2010 9:00:37 PM

maurick said:
read this topic

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/256223-11-people-la...

u are the one of them

in this forum, people use AA for anti-aliasing,
if i google it, i get this...........
http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&source=hp&q=aa&btnG=Goog...

and AF is used for anistropic filtering,
i got http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&source=hp&q=af&btnG=Goog... when i googled it.

so if i don't ask questions on this forum, it's gonna take a long time......
and then why are you even on this forum if you can search for ur queries over the internet!!!!!
a c 131 K Overclocking
a c 180 à CPUs
January 9, 2010 9:26:17 PM

Post your system specs and then we might be able to tell you what is possible.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2010 9:31:42 PM

his point is that youve asked a question that didnt need to be asked. the answers already exist on the forum and there is no need for this discussion.

there is nothing wrong with asking questions. but there is no need to ask a question thats already been answered a hundred times before. the results you can find yourself with minimum effort.

January 9, 2010 9:32:56 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Post your system specs and then we might be able to tell you what is possible.

ACER Aspire 4520

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor TK-55
1.80 GHz, 1GB RAM w/ 256 MB shared memory Nvidia GeForce 7000M.
January 9, 2010 9:33:46 PM

welshmousepk said:
his point is that youve asked a question that didnt need to be asked. the answers already exist on the forum and there is no need for this discussion.

there is nothing wrong with asking questions. but there is no need to ask a question thats already been answered a hundred times before. the results you can find yourself with minimum effort.

ok, i get the drift.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 10, 2010 1:51:43 AM

ninja,

being a laptop...you might not have as much freedom in overclocking as desktops. And its been a while since I've owned a pre-built system, but I seem to remember that most usually lock their BIOS.

the general idea is that in the BIOS...you have a core frequency and a multiplier. You can change the frequency of the CPU, but unless it's an extreme CPU (for intel) or an FX CPU (for AMD) you cannot change the multiplier...only the core frequency. So if you have a base frequency of say 200MHz...and a multiplier of 9 then you CPU speed is 1.8GHz (9x200MHz). So if you change the frequency to say 250MHz...then 9x250 = 2.25GHz. So your CPU would become a 2.25GHz CPU for no extra money. This would generate more heat...so have sufficient cooling.

there's a lot more to it though...so read and become educated...and ask questions before you do anything. you will void warranties and can damage stuff...
a c 206 K Overclocking
a c 80 à CPUs
January 10, 2010 3:31:27 AM

Quote:
What exactly is overclocking ?

It depends on who you're talking to, to my wife overclocking is setting her clock 15 minutes ahead so she can fool herself into getting to work early, works for her.

Doesn't work for me because I know the clock is set ahead and always take that into consideration, I guess thats one difference between the male and female mindset.

Sorry, Just a little humor here.

ninjawarlord said:
Please would somebody tell me what overclocking is ? (in detail)

/////Overclocking is running your computer faster than it was factory spec'd to run, by manipulating default voltages and speeds of hardware components.

What do you need to overclock ?

/////Overclockable hardware and the education of How to do it.

What does overclocking depends on ? (like RAM, CPU, GPU etc.)

/////Hardware capabilities and the extent of your overclocking knowledge.

What can BE overclocked ? (RAM, CPU, GPU etc.)

/////All of the above

Can any computer can be overclocked ?

/////No

What are the advantages and disadvantages of overclocking ? (temporary/permanent and long-term/short-term)

/////Advantages, really all boil down to getting more than you actually paid for.

Disadvantages, are the bad electrical burnt smell from a serious overclock failure, is hard to get out of the room and nose hairs.

Since you're entertaining the thought of overclocking then thoroughly educate yourself first, read the overclocking guides, search the internet for different overclocking websites, get a real solid background under your belt.

Learn First, Then Do!

Then you'll have more specific questions targeting an exact obstacle you need to overcome, to achieve the overclock you may be after.

But we all have to start somewhere so good luck!

a c 131 K Overclocking
a c 180 à CPUs
January 10, 2010 3:01:58 PM

welshmousepk said:

Same answer could be said for about 99% of the questions posted on the forum every day.

Is my PSU big enough ?
What GFX card should I buy ?
IS my $xxxx build good ?

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2010 1:51:12 AM

the difference being, those questions could easily require personal feedback. wanting to know specifics outside of what had been answered before.

'what is overclocking?' could be googled. if he does some research, and then has questions im sure we'd all be happy to help. but its not fair for a person to expect us to do all the work for them.
!