ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Please would somebody tell me what overclocking is ? (in detail)

What do you need to overclock ?

What does overclocking depends on ? (like RAM, CPU, GPU etc.)

What can BE overclocked ? (RAM, CPU, GPU etc.)

Can any computer can be overclocked ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of overclocking ? (temporary/permanent and long-term/short-term)

Solution
ninja,

being a laptop...you might not have as much freedom in overclocking as desktops. And its been a while since I've owned a pre-built system, but I seem to remember that most usually lock their BIOS.

the general idea is that in the BIOS...you have a core frequency and a multiplier. You can change the frequency of the CPU, but unless it's an extreme CPU (for intel) or an FX CPU (for AMD) you cannot change the multiplier...only the core frequency. So if you have a base frequency of say 200MHz...and a multiplier of 9 then you CPU speed is 1.8GHz (9x200MHz). So if you change the frequency to say 250MHz...then 9x250 = 2.25GHz. So your CPU would become a 2.25GHz CPU for no extra money. This would generate more heat...so have...

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

in this forum, people use AA for anti-aliasing,
if i google it, i get this...........
http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&source=hp&q=aa&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=aa&fp=8b2bc962433d39b2

and AF is used for anistropic filtering,
i got http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&source=hp&q=af&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=af&fp=8b2bc962433d39b2 when i googled it.

so if i don't ask questions on this forum, it's gonna take a long time......
and then why are you even on this forum if you can search for ur queries over the internet!!!!!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
his point is that youve asked a question that didnt need to be asked. the answers already exist on the forum and there is no need for this discussion.

there is nothing wrong with asking questions. but there is no need to ask a question thats already been answered a hundred times before. the results you can find yourself with minimum effort.

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

ACER Aspire 4520

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor TK-55
1.80 GHz, 1GB RAM w/ 256 MB shared memory Nvidia GeForce 7000M.

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

ok, i get the drift.

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
ninja,

being a laptop...you might not have as much freedom in overclocking as desktops. And its been a while since I've owned a pre-built system, but I seem to remember that most usually lock their BIOS.

the general idea is that in the BIOS...you have a core frequency and a multiplier. You can change the frequency of the CPU, but unless it's an extreme CPU (for intel) or an FX CPU (for AMD) you cannot change the multiplier...only the core frequency. So if you have a base frequency of say 200MHz...and a multiplier of 9 then you CPU speed is 1.8GHz (9x200MHz). So if you change the frequency to say 250MHz...then 9x250 = 2.25GHz. So your CPU would become a 2.25GHz CPU for no extra money. This would generate more heat...so have sufficient cooling.

there's a lot more to it though...so read and become educated...and ask questions before you do anything. you will void warranties and can damage stuff...

Solution
What exactly is overclocking ?

It depends on who you're talking to, to my wife overclocking is setting her clock 15 minutes ahead so she can fool herself into getting to work early, works for her.

Doesn't work for me because I know the clock is set ahead and always take that into consideration, I guess thats one difference between the male and female mindset.

Sorry, Just a little humor here.

Same answer could be said for about 99% of the questions posted on the forum every day.

Is my PSU big enough ?
What GFX card should I buy ?
IS my $xxxx build good ?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
the difference being, those questions could easily require personal feedback. wanting to know specifics outside of what had been answered before.

'what is overclocking?' could be googled. if he does some research, and then has questions im sure we'd all be happy to help. but its not fair for a person to expect us to do all the work for them.