New hdd running slow and freezing

Hello people.. i was just wondering if anyone could help me out..

My computer is only 2 months old, it has been working fine untill 2 weeks ago.
the hdd is running slow and locks up all the time the hdd light stays on.
i have reinstalled windows 7, even on a fresh install locks up and runs slow.
i have reformated the whole hdd unpartician, repartician'd reinstalled windows 7 and it still seems to be
running slow and freezing a bit for a computer with a AMD phenom II 955 and 8gig of ram

the hdd is a Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm SATAII DS 32meg Cache

could it be anything else besides my hdd?
or is it dying..

PLEASE HELP! :( :??:

thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about running slow freezing
  1. Did you stress test your PC right after you build it?

If not, download Prime 95 and do the stress test.

download: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
    instruction: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
  2. Run task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and select the "Performance" tab. If the CPU is 100% busy while you copy files even though nothing else is going on, then your drive is probably running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode - that can drastically impact it's performance.
  3. sminlal said:
    Run task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and select the "Performance" tab. If the CPU is 100% busy while you copy files even though nothing else is going on, then your drive is probably running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode - that can drastically impact it's performance.

its not really when i copy files, its mainly when i try open apps, like ie or open my computer or try watch or listen to something it will have a big lag.

i just checked. im not really sure but the performance tab has 4 sections to it. im guessing cause its a quad core, but when it has a lock up the last section goes to the top untill it stops having lag.
  4. OK, one CPU maxed out during disk I/O with nothing else going one sounds very much like your drive is in PIO mode. Here's how to fix it:

--> Start -> (right-click on "Computer" ) -> Manage

--> Click on "Device Manager" in the left pane

--> In the right pane, double-click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" to open it up, then do the following for each channel in turn:

-----> Right-click on the channel and select "Properties".

-----> Click on the "Advanced Settings" tab

-----> In the "Devices" box, make sure that the "Current Mode" is some variant of DMA

If a channel is not running in DMA mode then that's your problem. To fix the problem, right-click on the controller and uninstall it, then reboot.
  5. it reckons there in Ultra DMA mode 5 and 6
  6. Guess that's not the problem then...
  7. seebs101 said:
    it reckons there in Ultra DMA mode 5 and 6

Are you sure, it may say its configured to use DMA mode, but the actual mode may differ and may be PIO mode. Post a HDTune screenshot to be certain.
  8. I am having the exact p[roblem, it started three days ago. Have 1.5 TB Drives, and transfers now take about an hour to move 1 GB. Will Watch and advise if I see the Problem. Windows 7, and Vista dual Boot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 Computer Storage