Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade for E6750?

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2008 7:14:32 PM

I currently have an E6750 CPU on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard, with an Arctic ACFZ7-Pro CPU cooler. It's less than 10 months old and works great, but I do a lot of HD video editing and would like to boost my performance. I don't play ANY games, but my computer runs 24/7/365 for TV recording and other operations, so cool and quiet operation is a MUST for me.

I've been running at the stock 2.66ghz, but tried overclocking to around 3.0 ghz. While it seemed to run OK, it increased the heat and fan noise enough that I reset everything back to the stock 2.66ghz.

I can't afford the i7 processor/motherboard/RAM right now, so I'm curious what my best upgrade option would be.

I know the Q6600 is popular, but I'm curious if I'll see enough real world improvement for HD video processing to make it worth the investment. I'm also concerned it will increase the heat output and corresponding fan noise.

The Q8200 is only $20 or so more, but I'm curious if it would run cooler than the Q6600 while giving a similar performance increase?

Another other processors under the $250 price range I should consider?

Thanks,

Anthony

More about : upgrade e6750

December 21, 2008 8:05:01 PM

Quad core will really help with encoding but they run warmer (because they have 4 cores in the same space as 2 in the duo's)

If you can squeeze your budget, get one of the latest quads (other than the i7) with support for SSE 4.1 (98% sure that is what you are looking for). They haven't been as over clockable as the q6600 but the new instructions set specifically help with encoding
Related resources
December 21, 2008 10:17:08 PM

Agree with bc4 and 50bmg
December 21, 2008 10:20:55 PM

Shame about the no overclocking thing, an E6750 @ 3.2 Ghz is faster than a stock Q6600 when it comes to encoding. Though a Q6600 at 3.0 Ghz is even better... is the extra noise so unbearable? I mean you don't have to increase the voltage to hit 3.2 on an E6750, a good one can go to 3.4 without a voltage change...
December 21, 2008 10:56:11 PM

Since hes not overclocking, the stock 2.4ghz on a Q6600 is not going to cut it for anything. Hince why I susgested a E8500.
December 23, 2008 4:49:54 PM

50bmg,

Thanks for the Q9300 suggestion! It's a bit more than I was looking to spend, but is still a possibility. I see the Q9400 is just a bit more. Do you know if there would be much of a performance difference between the two processors? I haven't been able to find benchmarks comparing the two (or either to a E6750 for that matter).

The_Blood_Raven,

Yep, noise and heat are VERY important criteria for me. I built my new system back in February, and have put a lot of effort into choosing components based on their noise levels. I never shut my computer off, and I spend at least eight hours a day working next to it. My system is nearly silent now, I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks,

Anthony
December 23, 2008 5:02:32 PM

You will have to make a compromise between noise and performance. I have my E6750 Humming at 3.7Ghz and my PC is only audible when there is nothing else on in the room. The best route would be to buy a quad and overclock, but you don't want noise. The other route would be to buy a more expensive quad at a higher clock speed so you do not have to overclock it. Of course, the higher clocked quad will cost more, but that is a sacrifice you have to be willing to make for the extra performance boost.
December 24, 2008 4:49:33 PM

herhubby86 said:
I currently have an E6750 CPU on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard, with an Arctic ACFZ7-Pro CPU cooler. It's less than 10 months old and works great, but I do a lot of HD video editing and would like to boost my performance. I don't play ANY games, but my computer runs 24/7/365 for TV recording and other operations, so cool and quiet operation is a MUST for me.
(...)
I can't afford the i7 processor/motherboard/RAM right now, so I'm curious what my best upgrade option would be.
(...)
I know the Q6600 is popular, but I'm curious if I'll see enough real world improvement for HD video processing to make it worth the investment. I'm also concerned it will increase the heat output and corresponding fan noise.
(...)
Another other processors under the $250 price range I should consider?
(...)
Thanks for the Q9300 suggestion! It's a bit more than I was looking to spend, but is still a possibility. I see the Q9400 is just a bit more. Do you know if there would be much of a performance difference between the two processors? I haven't been able to find benchmarks comparing the two (or either to a E6750 for that matter).

Since you do a lot of video editing which takes enormous advantage of multi core processing, i'd go definitely for a Q9xx0. If you could afford a Q9450 or Q9550 with 12MB L2 Cache it's better and more appropriated for video editing.

THG Benchmark for Premiere Pro CS3 HDTV:
i7-920 - 112 sec
Q9550 - 142 sec
Q9450 - 147 sec
Q6600 - 173 sec
E8600 - 216 sec
E6750 - 270 sec

Hope this helps.
December 25, 2008 2:46:56 PM

powerbaselx,

Thanks for the info!

Based on the feedback I got here, and research I did on my own, I ordered a Q9400 yesterday. It was a bit more than I had hoped to spend, but I wanted something that would last me a year or two at least and give enough performance increase to justify the expense.

Anthony
!