HD 4850 or 9800GTX+

Total: 32 votes (10 blank votes)

• HD 4850
  • 67 %
  • 9800GTX+
  • 34 %
October 25, 2008 11:25:51 PM

I don't really know.
I will probably be using a core 2.0 duo, and playing games like TF2, COD4, Farcry 2, and maybe games like crysis
I want to be able to also play future games with no problem, and not have to replace my video card for a while

More about : 4850 9800gtx

October 25, 2008 11:55:36 PM

the 4850 will wipe the Flore with the 9800gtx+ super clocked never mind the 9800gtx
October 26, 2008 12:02:07 AM

rangers said:
the 4850 will wipe the Flore with the 9800gtx+ super clocked never mind the 9800gtx

Can you give me some reasons?
Related resources
October 26, 2008 12:20:00 AM

the 4850 directly competes with the 9800gtx but the gtx+ slightly beats the 4850 across the board. all three cards are within 5% of each other so its really up to you on which to take. what i have done is buy a gtx and overclock it to match the gtx+ so i get the gtx+ performance for the gtx price. but the 4850 is 1% faster than the gtx and the gtx+ is 2-3% faster than the 4850.
October 26, 2008 12:26:10 AM

Get whichever is cheapest!!!
they perform the same. No matter what anyone else says, they do.
I would suggest that you overclock your cpu though. I have that chip (e4400) and there is a huge frame boost from 2Ghz to 2.66 Ghz.

Seriously though, get whichever one is cheaper when you buy it. If they are the same price, get the one that you think looks better. If you are still undecided (i would be at this point), get the card than runs cooler, the 9800 GTX. End of discussion.
October 26, 2008 12:40:07 AM

Quick question, cause Ive never overclocked.
Does that void warranty?
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2008 1:03:09 AM

Make sure the benchmarks youre looking at are on the OS youre using, as ATIs cards are doing etremely well on Vista, using DX10, and that at your res, whatever it may be, that youre getting all the eye candy you can get
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2008 4:13:53 AM

Well we all know that jaydee is an Intel/AMD/ATI/Nvidia fanboy who can only be trusted to tell the truth, backed up by benchmarks and facts as accurately as he can.

sorry i just had to add that after seeing a post from earlier.
October 26, 2008 6:05:01 AM

customisbetter said:
Get whichever is cheapest!!!
they perform the same. No matter what anyone else says, they do.
I would suggest that you overclock your cpu though. I have that chip (e4400) and there is a huge frame boost from 2Ghz to 2.66 Ghz.

Seriously though, get whichever one is cheaper when you buy it. If they are the same price, get the one that you think looks better. If you are still undecided (i would be at this point), get the card than runs cooler, the 9800 GTX. End of discussion.

^+1

Pretty much what I was about to say.
October 26, 2008 2:24:45 PM

rangers said:

Like ATI that's fine, but It doesn't wipe the floor since their both fairly close
October 26, 2008 2:51:04 PM

yeah agreed, they exchange blows in games, but I would go for the 4850 since its more consistent in it's frames. Plus I have a personal disgust against revisions. I believe that the 4850 does win more of the games though, I don't think by much.

It depends on ur mobo, if you'll choose to go sli or tri sli
October 26, 2008 2:52:09 PM

Whichever is cheaper will be the one you should go with, unless you plan on using an HDTV or anything to do with HDMI, then the clear winner is the 4850.
October 26, 2008 3:50:24 PM

k, so Ive decided on an hd 4850, but which should I get?
There are a bunch on new egg. Some have like 1/2gb or vram, some are higher clock, some have a cooler that they say are better, and one has lifetime warranty.

I don't really need 1 or 2 gb, and I can use a fan fix to cool the card, but do I need a lifetime warranty?

here are the ones im currently looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that one seems really nice

this one has a lifetime warranty, dunno if i need it

this one, someone said it has a better cooler.

I can't really pick, so can someone help me, and reasons why.
Also, if all those really suck to you, then you can pick another one.
October 26, 2008 3:54:13 PM

get the MSI. with that cooler, you should get higher overclocks and thus more performance.
October 26, 2008 4:04:49 PM

.....but what if I don't overclock
I like the idea of a warranty....
i seem like a pussy dont i......
(sorry for the kinda bad language...)
October 26, 2008 4:13:25 PM

cant remember where i seen the benchmarks but the 4850 ran all over an asus super-clocked
October 26, 2008 4:22:31 PM

....k, so one card has good cooling, one is higher rated, one has a lifetime warranty.
too many choices...... can't decide.
Im probably not going to overclock, I like warranty, and I can just use a fan fix.

Help...... please?......
October 26, 2008 4:33:47 PM

ipoopfool said:
....k, so one card has good cooling, one is higher rated, one has a lifetime warranty.
too many choices...... can't decide.
Im probably not going to overclock, I like warranty, and I can just use a fan fix.

Help...... please?......

Newegg users are eggheads, their ratings don't matter. Graphics cards get obsolete fast, so you won't be keeping it for a lifetime anyway, any 1-2 year warranty is more than enough. The MSI one has 3 year warrant, which should be enough. Think about an old graphics card 3 years ago, will you be willing to use it today? If not, then lifetime warranty is just a gimmick.
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_GenWar.asp

Fan fixes can get bumped off when your system driver settings change, it's not as good as fan that runs up to speed to begin with. Larger aftermarket fan will run cooler and quieter, stock or oced.
October 26, 2008 4:35:28 PM

ati's cards have so much going for them just now, you would have to be mad to go with nvidia
October 26, 2008 4:41:05 PM

k its comments like that makes ppl not trust your opinion in these forums. Honestly can u evolve from a troll?

You follow price, your not going to buya 4870 over an old 260 GTX if its 70-100$ more than the 260 GTX, or vice versa.

Common grow up.

Have you noticed all ur -1s in ur comments?

To OP,

the 4850 is a good choice, do u plan on going crossfire (2 cards, 3, 4 etc) or do you plan on staying with just 1 video card?
October 26, 2008 4:54:49 PM

....if your talking to me, No.
Im planning to only use one video card

Also, you think I should just get the card with the good cooling. Any other opinions, or is that it?
October 26, 2008 5:07:02 PM

It all depends on how ur system is, if its very low ventilated, and/or you oc other parts of your computer then I would say go for the cooler card. For ppl like me, the video card cooling doesn't really affect my system.

Remember its always better for components to run as cool as possible, since you don't oc I don't see a need.
October 26, 2008 5:17:36 PM

L1qu1d said:
It all depends on how ur system is, if its very low ventilated, and/or you oc other parts of your computer then I would say go for the cooler card. For ppl like me, the video card cooling doesn't really affect my system.

Remember its always better for components to run as cool as possible, since you don't oc I don't see a need.

The one with good cooling and 3 year warranty is 5 dollars more than the one with lifetime warranty. It's 5 dollars less if you count in mir. Better cooling can never be a bad thing. What's not needed is the "lifetime" warranty. It's no advantage whatsoever over 3 years warranty.
October 26, 2008 5:25:41 PM

dagger said:
The one with good cooling and 3 year warranty is 5 dollars more than the one with lifetime warranty. It's 5 dollars less if you count in mir. Better cooling can never be a bad thing. What's not needed is the "lifetime" warranty. It's no advantage whatsoever over 3 years warranty.

Wastn't directing my comment at the 2 cards, I'm just saying in general :p  I had GX2s for god's sake rofl .
October 26, 2008 6:01:02 PM

ipoopfool said:
k
i dont plan on ocing at all, never done it and probably never will
I have a case that seems pretty good
it has 4 fans

so, i really don't know

Your case has great airflow, though i still worry about the stock fan on those cards. Get the MSI.

About overclocking, it can net you about 10 frames in some modern games. That can be the difference between playable and not (in crysis). I would recommend overclocking to anyone nowadays as its simple as pie. just as easy and about as quick as posting this message.

Also, it usually doesn't void your warranty.
October 26, 2008 7:01:26 PM

get the one with the V8 and the twin overhead cams
October 26, 2008 7:04:43 PM

rangers said:

:heink:  ?
October 26, 2008 7:08:53 PM

rangers said:

and the super deluxe dual exhaust lol
October 26, 2008 7:36:11 PM

dont forget the powder pant job and ur right xxcoop the super deluxe exhaust is a must
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2008 7:45:33 PM

Dont forget the chrome muffler bearings and the dual dipsticks too
October 26, 2008 9:39:08 PM

yes this is helpful and u guys are feeding the fire:) 
October 26, 2008 10:04:56 PM

I read a review here for this card:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-4850-iceq4-...

It is much cooler than the rest of the 4850s:) 

I would say its a really good buy:D 

Direct Quote from the review:

"We measure at a room temperature of 21-22 Degrees C, look at idle temperature and then load the GPU 100% for a couple of minutes and measure the temperature once a second and follow the temperature delta.

Typically the standard Radeon 4850 products come with a bit of an average cooler. Temperatures can rise up-to 95 Degrees C on these products. So I was quite thrilled to see a much better cooling solution mounted to this product.

Idle temps are roughly 45 Degrees C, yet when the GPU is fully utilized we measured 65 Degrees C, which is far better than the reference cooler. Also bare in mind that this product is pre-overclocked, typically that results into a slightly higher GPU temperature. But yeah, lovely."

October 26, 2008 10:14:45 PM

sorry forgot to add that the only difference between the 2 is the Overclock, to me it wouldn't be worth the extra 20$ but since you don't like Ocing it might be something you might want to look into :) 
October 26, 2008 10:48:14 PM

Its not that I don't like ocing, just that I never done it, I don't want my hardware to fck up, and I like warranty
Sure I could and would just buy the cheaper one and oc it if I knew it wouldnt fry and keep my warranty
October 26, 2008 10:59:46 PM

L1qu1d said:
yes this is helpful and u guys are feeding the fire:) 

mmmmmhhhh feeding the fire
October 26, 2008 11:05:18 PM

ipoopfool said:
Its not that I don't like ocing, just that I never done it, I don't want my hardware to fck up, and I like warranty
Sure I could and would just buy the cheaper one and oc it if I knew it wouldnt fry and keep my warranty

No I understand completely, thats why I'm saying if you don't want to risk the OC, then an extra 20$ would work for u:) 
October 26, 2008 11:09:34 PM

Thanks
October 26, 2008 11:10:32 PM

question, how is the best way to overclock and make sure it's stable?
October 26, 2008 11:20:38 PM

just bit by bit, your best bet would be to go look at the company you got the card from, and see what their max card is oced to. Try to oc to that 1, then if it shows instability work your way down:) 
October 31, 2008 4:10:36 AM

I prefer the nVidia. It has physx and CUDA stuff to play with.

I think the 4850 work better on COD4, but theres alot of games written for nvidia SLI too.

While you on Newegg, checkout the refurb'd 9800GX2 for $219, and 260's for $199, if your powersupply can handle it.

I just upgraded from a 7950GX2 to a 9800GTX today. I see a mild performance increase on my old AMD. 2fps better in 3dMark, scores up 1500 in2005 and 850 in 2006. It runs nice, noticeably smoother, but I've been having alot of lockups and freezing in-game. I'm hoping the new 180.40 beta driver fix that.

a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2008 8:33:10 PM

4850, its a card that is insane i think.
Normally i stick with nvidia, i had them for last 8 years, but this babies i got in crossfire get me 1900x1200 ultra high in crysis working "most of the time" flawlessly.....

But one thing about nvidia, its a power horse, ati is a structurated trojan horse.

so i think best thing about this is pros and cons:

4850: crazy crossfire performace, needs aftermarket cooler IN ANY CASE, good OC capabilities and HUGE Rate for OC (go gpureview.com)

9800+: Great solo performace, good SLI, huge noise and power consume, 2 slot with stock cooling, but runs cooler, low rate for OC, huge temp diffrence with low OC.

however since i ratehr pick 4850, physics>>>>havok....

i hope ati will imporve drivers for havok but till then, havok plain sucks compared to physics (np for me, im gonna get a physics card anyway :D ).
!