Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Short (8") Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2008 11:30:28 PM

So I've been thinking about upgrading my graphics card (7600GT) but I've come across a problem. I'd like to get the EVGA 9800GT w/ HybridPower ($100 after rebate), however I'm worried that it won't fit in my case.

I have a Dell E510, and it has a giant CPU cooler. I believe the card would be able to fit in the case, but the fan on the card would be partially blocked by the CPU cooler.

It's really more of a matter of where the fan is on the card, I'd like to have it more towards the front of the card rather than the end. There are a few other 9800GT's but the prices are higher.

So I'm looking for the performance of the 9800GT with a price range of up to $130, and either the card is 8" or the fan isn't at the rear.

More about : short graphics card

October 26, 2008 5:44:58 AM

Alright, well I found a shorter 9800GT on my own.

I had really expected to have received more help on the matter (any help actually). I'm rather disappointed actually.
Related resources
March 18, 2009 3:01:24 PM

Username2324 said:

I had really expected to have received more help on the matter (any help actually). I'm rather disappointed actually.

Hey man, I'm really sorry no one has helped you here. If only I had had the money a few months ago, maybe we could have helped each other.

Anyway, I was just about to by a 9800GT for my E510 when I stumbled across this thread. Do you have any advice you can offer me? Did you have to replace the power supply from the standard 305 Watt? Which model did you use? Did you have any trouble getting the card in the case?

I was thinking of the xfx 9800gt or, if possible, the gtx, since it's only $5 more. Anyway, I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
March 19, 2009 3:46:00 AM

I'm not exactly sure about the E510, but the generally setup in ATX cabinets is like this:

Your GPU fan faces down. So it doesn't matter whether your cpu cooler is small or large
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2009 4:49:36 AM

Dell computers use BTX cases, with the fan blowing directly into the CPU heatsink in the middle of the case.
ATX mobos will not fit anything BTX related and vice versa.

(I had a E520 and had to change the mobo, and I ended up changing everything from the computer case to the CPU fan to the power supply connectors)

But yes, the original poster needs a more powerful PSU. A 305 watt dell mobo (which has either one 12V rail with 18 or 22amps - or was it two?) doesn't have enough juice to power a 8800/9800GT or 4830.

Get a good 500watt PSU for $50-ish and get yourself a 4850 or GTS250/9800GTX/GTX+
March 19, 2009 11:19:18 AM

Nice! I think I'll do that. Newegg's got a Thermotake 600w for $50, but they also have a case for the same price that comes with a 550W psu. Thinking of going with the one with the case so I can swap my mobo/processor and get another 9800gt when I get the cash. Probably need more than 600W at that point...
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2009 3:36:38 PM

^ If you swap your mobo, you're basically in for replacing most of your components. Also, you'll need to reinstall your OS because the preinstalled dell OS on the hard drive won't recognize your mobo (happened to me 2 days ago).

As for the 550watt PSU, make sure it's decent - since usually bundled PSUs are horrible.
Make sure it has enough amps on 12v rails to power the GPU.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2009 3:48:54 PM

nvm.
March 19, 2009 4:36:50 PM

Ok, I've got non-dell windows disks and I run ubuntu, but I have a new question. My case is definitely a BTX, just like that great chart you drew, but when replacing the psu, will I have to have one compliant with BTX or will they all work?

Found a couple that say ATX/BTX so I guess I'll go with one of those if it matters. Thanks a lot for you help!

And btw, the reason we were looking for short cards in our e510's is because the card itself just barely misses the giant heatsink in the middle. I think a longer one will work as long as it's thin.
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2009 4:47:53 PM

ATX/BTX usually won't matter for your PSU. Just make sure your case is big enough for it. (mid towers or full towers, don't get slimline/small towers)

I reused my Dell 305watt PSU in my cheap ATX mid tower case. Just be sure to get a 24 pin PSU extender, because the cables on the PSU won't be long enough if you use it on an ATX motherboard.
February 9, 2011 6:26:09 PM

Username2324 said:

Well *I'm* really disappointed too since you didn't share the name / model of the short 9800GT that you found :fou: 

I'm looking for this card, as I'm trying to install one in a dell with slightly less than 8 inches of space for the gfx card. Anyone have any clues?
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 9, 2011 6:36:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!