Dual or quad

G

Hi,

I was configuring a new pc, mostly to play games.

I was thinking to use the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ -Dual Core - 3000Mhz

or the AMD Phenom X4 9550 - Quad Core - 2200Mhz

Which one is the better CPU in my case?

- Friendly regards-

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
+1 for the dual core.

Remember the phenom II will be out soon. I'm not saying wait, just think about future upgrades. I am no AMD guy, so correct me if i am wrong, isn't the phenom II going to start as an AM2+/AM3 socket? If, so you can upgrade to one of those after a price drop. The phenom II will have memory controllers for both ddr2 and ddr3.

my point is dont waste money on an AMD quad now.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
It also depends on how long you plan to keep the cpu and will you be OCing? You can always crank up the speed but you can't add cores. While current games won't benefit from the extra cores, future games will so your timetable is important.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I agree with Temjin, you can't add cores later. Price breaks more towards dual core. If it's a 3yr system I'd go dual, 5 yr go quad...

This is one of those questions where you ask two people and get three answers....all of them valid.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

You can't overclock a 6000+ much anyway.

@ JjonH, if you can afford it, get an Intel e5200 + a P45 motherboard + overclock it = faster than any AMD chip for gaming.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Go with the dual, no point in wasting money on the quad, especially with AMD. Spend good money on the motherboard as you will need a good one that will receive a bios update.

In about a year or 2, you can upgrade your dual core to a Phenom II or whatever they call it then that supports am2+ or you can go with the newer version, but you'll have to replace your board and memory too.

But for gaming, a good dual core is better atm.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

List of Multithreaded games from Overclocking Wiki:
Oblivion
HL2 based
Quake 4
UT3
Crysis
Supreme Commander
GTA IV
COD 2 onwards (apparantly!)

To be correct, these games use 2 to 4 cores, so im not necessarily saying you are wrong, zodiacfml.

It depends on the speed diffrence between the Dual and the Quad. If they are within ~500 Mhz of eachother, get the Quad. Most of the recently released games show clear improvements running on Quads.

I will point out though, for new systems, your better off getting i7/Phenom II.