RAIDs and Ubuntu

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Ubuntu
  • Software
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2010 11:58:37 AM

I recently tried converting to Linux, and installed Ubuntu 9.10 a few hours ago.
Everything looks fine and promising except two issues:

a) I have a hardware-raid consisting of 2x500GB SATA-disks, but they are not recognized by ubuntu.
b) I also have a windows software raid consisting of 2x1000GB SATA-disks, not surprisingly not recognized by ubuntu.

The software-raid i can understand, but i reallty expected the hardware-raid to work out of the box in Ubuntu. Especially since they are aiming to get more users from Windows.

When i visited my motherbord vendor's website, they had no drivers for linux, only refering to third party vendors.
It's a Gigabyte P35-DQ6 board.

I also want to know if there is a way to make windows split a software raid and keeping the data. I suppose there is about 250GB of free space on the array (approx 1850GB total).

Please advice

More about : raids ubuntu

a c 127 G Storage
March 5, 2010 12:01:25 PM

What Hardware RAID controller?
What Software RAID engine/drivers/brand?

Ubuntu should be able to pick up both. Where did you install Ubuntu to if it didn't detect both, how many disks do you have in your system?
a c 127 G Storage
March 5, 2010 12:05:38 PM

The Orange SATA ports are from your Intel ICH9R chipset. The purple ones from "Gigabyte controller" which is in fact Silicon Image i believe. Could you explain to me how you connected your disks, to which controller?
Related resources
March 5, 2010 12:12:33 PM

Hi, thanks replying!

The hardware-raid (2x500) is connected to the Purple connectors, thus making it the gigabyte-controller.

The software-raid is connected to the yellow ones, but the raid-feature is disabled in BIOS because windows (both XP and 7) crashes and reboots during startup when enabled.
That's the reason why the 2x1000 RAID is a software raid configured in Windows under "controlpanel - admin tools - computer management - storage controller" (or something like that).

My fifth disk is a 160gb disk I use for both Windows (7) and now Ubuntu.
I still have access to Windows.

Summary:
2x500gb HW-raid on purple gigabyte-controller
2x1000GB SW-raid on orange intel-controller, raid disabled
1x160GB single disk containing Windows 7 and Ubuntu, connected to orange intel controller
March 5, 2010 12:21:07 PM

Here is a screenshot of the disk tool in ubuntu

a c 127 G Storage
March 5, 2010 2:34:22 PM

What you call hardware RAID is a FakeRAID/DriverRAID/HybridRAID/onboardRAID soluton; the Silicon Image-chip is a SATA controller and with the RAID drivers it can function as RAID controller too.

RAID can be divided into categories:
  • Software RAID (what you use in Windows on the orange SATA ports)
  • Driver RAID (what you use when using Intel onboard RAID controller or the purple connectors when using the Silicon Image RAID drivers)
  • Hardware RAID (uses its own cpu; OS never gets to see the physical drives behind the RAID)

So you don't have a hardware RAID; its driverRAID. And Silicon Image is much worse quality than Intel onboard RAID; so i suggest not using the purple ports.

Aside from that, both should work on Ubuntu; though i'm not sure about the software RAID created by windows. Could you boot up ubuntu and install the "mdadm" package, and give output of:

ls -l /dev/md*
    March 5, 2010 3:32:32 PM

Thanks for clarifing, sub mesa.

Anyways, I installed the mdadm-package via synaptic package installer, however I was not able to get anything from the command line you gave me:

twinflower@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /dev/md*
    ls: cannot access /dev/md*: No such file or directory
    March 8, 2010 9:29:18 AM

OK, I think i am getting somewhat closer.

dmraid seems to have a function to rebuild arrays.

"sudo dmraid -r" outputs 4 lines about disks in /dev/sda and sdb.
    However, when trying to rebuild i get an error saying that raid0 cannot be rebuild.

I also dont know if it's trying to rebuild the fakeraid or the SW-raid