Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows Xp partition delete and re-merge HELP!

Last response: in Windows XP
March 6, 2011 2:19:16 AM

Hello,
I have a Compaq running XP. When new I opted to set up the Recovery disk internally which created a drive:D  for recovery. Now I need the space and have wiped the drive using CCLeaner. I want to expand the C drive so that I "reclaim" the unused space the was the D drive before. I have not been able to get the C drive to expand in to the new "unallocated" space I created. I tried all the windows help topics on deleting partitions and expanding the drive to no avail. Any thoughts?

Best solution

March 6, 2011 7:59:38 AM

My thoughts are this is very dangerous territory and someone will post a dubious utility which will claim to do it for you but wreck your installation of XP in a single stroke. With hard disk space so inexpensive, put in an extra one or buy an external if this Compaq is a laptop.

If you use an internal disk, move My Documents to it and save space on the system drive. How much free space is there at the moment? How big was that D:\ drive? Recovery Partitions are usually counted in Mb rather than Gb so you may not gain much anyway.

Declutter using CCleaner then go to C:\Windows with hidden files and folders and system protected files set to show. Delete all the $Uninstall entries except the first one then go to C:\Windows\Software Distribution and delete the entire contents of both Download and Event Cache folders. If you're really short of space, look in the files in C:\Windows and delete all those starting with KB. That got rid of all the rubbish that came with Updates and might have freed 3Gb.

Defragment and use CCleaner to wipe the free space - things should speed up a little.

March 6, 2011 7:03:19 PM

Saga...thanks for the input! the "D" drive actually has 11GB on it and the "C"drive has 44 total with about half free. It is running a lot better since clearing things out and running the CCleaner on it. I probably won't need th unused space but thought if I could "re-merge" it back to the C drive it would be good. More of a "want to" than a "have to" scenario.

I need to get rid of some of the programs that slow down the start up. After taking 10 minutes to get up and running it is just fine from then on. It is just so slow getting going.

Again thanks!

Saga Lout said:

My thoughts are this is very dangerous territory and someone will post a dubious utility which will claim to do it for you but wreck your installation of XP in a single stroke. With hard disk space so inexpensive, put in an extra one or buy an external if this Compaq is a laptop.

If you use an internal disk, move My Documents to it and save space on the system drive. How much free space is there at the moment? How big was that D:\ drive? Recovery Partitions are usually counted in Mb rather than Gb so you may not gain much anyway.

Declutter using CCleaner then go to C:\Windows with hidden files and folders and system protected files set to show. Delete all the $Uninstall entries except the first one then go to C:\Windows\Software Distribution and delete the entire contents of both Download and Event Cache folders. If you're really short of space, look in the files in C:\Windows and delete all those starting with KB. That got rid of all the rubbish that came with Updates and might have freed 3Gb.

Defragment and use CCleaner to wipe the free space - things should speed up a little.

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
March 6, 2011 7:45:39 PM

GPartED
m
l
March 7, 2011 2:15:34 PM

My prediction was right about a dubious utility - that one should also be known as GStuffEd for the number of systems it's hosed through misuse.

Anyway if startup slowness is now the only problem, go Start to Run and in the Open box, type msconfig then hit Enter. You can safely untick anything in the StartUp tab except your firewall and AV but concentrate on things you don't need until you call for them. Click Apply and OK your way out then restart and when the system comes back up, tick the "Don't show this message again" box and hit Enter.

m
l
March 14, 2011 12:39:59 AM

Best answer selected by lwatts.
m
l
!