Sign in with
Your question

Would like to have Win 7 on SSD & XP on seperate HD

Last response: in Windows 7
September 7, 2011 7:38:41 PM

Greetings!

I'm wanting to put together a rig to run Windows 7 primarily on an SSD BUT I would like to have Windows XP on a separate standard HD. Is this possible without problems? If so, how? (I'm of moderate skill level having built one system from scratch with no real problems.)

Thanks

More about : win ssd seperate

September 7, 2011 8:13:19 PM

This is possible, just make sure you back up your files, do clean install for both, and make sure your bios boot settings are configured correctly :) 
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2011 8:18:29 PM

Okay let's up the ante. What would happen if I loaded Win 7 then simply installed the HD of my old computer containing Windows XP and programs?
m
l
September 7, 2011 8:22:30 PM

xp is not that smart and will need full reconfiguration to work properly,, what version of 7 do you have? if you got ultimate, you can run programs in XP mode
m
l
September 7, 2011 8:51:06 PM

mbow902 said:
Okay let's up the ante. What would happen if I loaded Win 7 then simply installed the HD of my old computer containing Windows XP and programs?

That is possible. But I'm assuming that your hdd containing windows xp uses those large cables (can't remember what they are called) instead of sata to connect to the mobo. Make sure you check to see if your mobo has that connection if you want to install it that way.
m
l
!