Sign in with
Your question

Solid State HD and Bottlenecks

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2008 3:16:20 AM

While it is true that the mechanical harddrive is the slowest among all other computer components, do you think it causes a significant bottleneck in performance? Do you think it's worth the coupla hundred bucks to buy a small (maybe 32GB) solid state harddrive as a singular directory to run games off of? Is it worth the performance increase (if any)? If so, how much performance increase can I expect from this investment? Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
December 22, 2008 3:35:08 AM

shortened load times thats it

also don't get any SSDs currently on sale as they have issues and the more mainstream (under 1000$ SSDs) still have terrible write performance

your best bet is to just get a RAID card and raid 0 a couple cheap drives
December 22, 2008 3:35:46 AM

It obviously depends on what the other components of your computer are. Also, mostly it will decrease load times, which won't affect FPS much, for instance.

Also consider that SSDs are increasing in performance and capacity quite quickly, and reducing their prices dramatically. I personally think that buying one now is a waste of money; in 2 or 3 years, they'll be mainstream and large(r).
Related resources
December 22, 2008 8:24:31 AM

Check out theese:
Unfortunatly they are up on price, used to be $79.99 - $20 rebate now $94.99 -$20. 4 of them in raid 0 would blow You away and give decent space 120 GB. Wait until end of January I heard OCZ is releasing new line in January for mainstream.
December 22, 2008 8:52:56 AM

Yea, HDDs are pretty far behind in terms of developments over the past 5 years or so. Software is usually optimised to work around this eg preloading an upcoming area in the background. SATA II supposedly transfers at 3 GB/s but it doesnt feel like this sometimes!

To answer the Qn i dont think its worth the money for SSD yet, but i know of people who load OS and major apps onto them and see some really nice load times. It would be something to get if you came into a bit of spare cash imo...not a necessity, but a novelty.
December 22, 2008 9:23:25 AM

pr2thej said:
Yea, HDDs are pretty far behind in terms of developments over the past 5 years or so. Software is usually optimised to work around this eg preloading an upcoming area in the background. SATA II supposedly transfers at 3 GB/s but it doesnt feel like this sometimes!

To answer the Qn i dont think its worth the money for SSD yet, but i know of people who load OS and major apps onto them and see some really nice load times. It would be something to get if you came into a bit of spare cash imo...not a necessity, but a novelty.

Good load times eh? How do the times compare to a 7200rpm HD? Coupla seconds at most?
-btw, sorry for the thumbs down, I meant to hit the quote button, the thumbs down kinda looks like a thought bubble. I havn't been around long enough to know otherwise >.<
!