Biostar Tforce TA790GX A2+
Powercolor ATI Radeon 4850 512Mb
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 Memory GOLD DUAL CHANNEL 5-5-5-18
Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 CPU Cooler
Antec 300
Arctic Power 600W PSU
Seagate 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm
2x Antec Tricool 120mm Intake case fans from the front

Im bored at work, and im debating whether to effectively downgrade that Quad to a x2 6400 or x2 6000 either OC'd to 3.3 - 3.4ish. 2 less cores, 1GHz more clockage.
Looking at £60 or so, so its not a major loss if i dont get better performance but i just feel that Phenom struggles when i try and (for example) do a bit of encoding while surfing or gaming.

I know that most will want to post "wait till Jan, then get a Phenom II. Im not going to spend £200 plus on a chip...maybe next xmas ill pick one up.

More about : quad isnt cutting

December 22, 2008 1:24:09 PM

Sod it i changed my mind, i want a Phenom II now.
No mortal should be denied 4GHz on air.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 1:41:52 PM

it's pretty much true that the AMD line right now are dogs compared to Intel, but you never mentioned what games you play, and for 1, that 4850 is only going to give you so much.
Related resources
December 22, 2008 2:06:35 PM

Its holding up surprisingly well...cant fault it really.
I like pretty much the latest and greatest...say everything except GTA IV which i know i have no chance of running well. Crysis goes ok with most settings on high.
Im usually on some kind on online fps...UT or CS or somesuch but with large scale worlds i do get slowdown and i know the 9500 is a bit of a weak link (or it feels that way)

I think if it came to a 4870 x2 or a Phenom II, it would be the CPU every time.
December 22, 2008 9:59:40 PM

The 4850 isnt at all your problem. I have an X2 6000+ and a 4850 and have no problem in gaming or multi-tasking. I think you are correct in saying that your performance hits are from the lower mhz on your processor. Most games utilize one or two cores right now so its important for gaming to have a high clock speed. Your predicament is the exact reason I went dual core when I built my system but made sure to get an AM2+ board to get a phenom II when there released.....didnt think in dec 07 when I built it that it would take AMD another year to get them out but now that there almost here I cant wait....Your best bet is a phenom II. Keep in mind however that ANY processor is going to slow down some when doing something like encoding. My system is powerful enough that i can continue to browse the web, watch tv and do small tasks while doing video encoding but I definitely wouldnt be able to game while video encoding.

One advantage I do have though is I run 2 4850's. So far though I havent found a game that benefits overly much from crossfire, the fact that I have my two monitors on a seperate card then the monitor I game on I'm sure helps in my multi-tasking while running a game fullscreen as well.
December 23, 2008 7:54:33 AM

mmm good to hear some feedback, thx for that. I cant really xfire well as the x16 PCI-e is split x8 / x8...there wasnt really a well priced board with true dual channel GPU's (w/e its called). I imagine id see performance increases, but for the £100 it would cost, i can just put that towards a Phenom II and then pick up a beastly GPU sometime down the line.
AdioKIP did you o/c the x2 6000?
December 23, 2008 4:10:52 PM

Nah I'm not an overclocker. Although I am an exterme user, and use to build a new computer yearly I never got into overclocking after fooling around with it years ago. For me stability/reliability are always more important then sheer power. I run my system as a media server with 2.25 terabytes worth of storage. My computer stays on 24/7 365. While I know you can maintaint stability with a reasonable overclock there was just never any need for me to do it since the gains are mostly seen in games rather then overall multi-tasking/regular applications which I run alot more of then games.

Even at 8x you would still get benefits from crossfire. Not as much as with 2 full 16x express lanes but you would see some benefits. If it came down to it though I would take the upgraded phenom over adding another video card.... Only thing is based on another thread I just read the Phenom II's might be priced higher then I was expecting :-(
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 7:23:07 PM

I think your 4850 is fine, but if you wanted to crossfire, you could. PCI-E 2.0 8x does not bottleneck most cards (exceptions being the X2's and maybe the 280.) Also, the PII X4 920 should be quite a bit cheaper but only a little slower GHz wise. It has also been shown OC'ed to 4GHz, but since it has a locked multi, it will require more effort. Just something else to consider.
!