I am currently working on over clocking my i7-860 on a GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6.
I am currently stable at 170x22 = 3740 Mhz. Though this OC gives abit high temp, so i might settle for 160x22.
During the process though i have collected a few questions that i hope someone will be able to clarify.
1) I use prime95 to stress test the cpu. How and with which program can i test the turbo function (considering prime will stress all cpus)
2) I have seen different opinions on this, but should hyper threading and turbo boost be turned off at these values? If so, why?
3) When i over clock it seems like my cpu is running at max frequency even at idle, it no longers ramp down. I havent altered any other settings in the bios then the BCLK and RAM timings. Is this normal?
4) Since i had high temps during prime testing at 170x22 with vcore voltage at auto i set it to 1.25 manually in the bios. However CPU-Z reports a vcore of 1.216. Can anyone explain why this is so? What is the correct voltage?
5) If i decide to run no a BLCK of 160 and x 22 giving me a core speed of 3520 Mhz, is it even worth it, considering the turbo boost can boost the CPU to a core speed of 3458? The difference between the two are minimal....
1) NONE, if you run turbo with a 170 Bclk you would be pushing 4.4 GHz. Don't think you want to stabilize your computer for that kind of daily OC.
2) Turbo, YES, as I just explained would be too much, HT is up to you, you loose 4 threads but drop heat generated.
3) Your into the Turbo multipliers now at 22, set back to 21 and see if it changes, if not manually set the speedstep to enabled.
4) It's called vdroop, the easiest way to learn about it is to Google it. Way to much to get into in our brief conversation here, but it's normal and it will drop from Bios setting and drop during load, depending on how the Bios is configured it may be significant. You can do away with this by enabling Load Line Calibration (LLC), but I suggest you do a little reading first.
5) Completely up to you it's your computer.
Thx for the reply RJR, lets this thread die as the questions are answered and i am now working on a BCLK 180 OC. The question is whether or not to enable hyper threading at this BCLK. Both are stable, but with ht on maks temp will reach 72 degrees during prime stress testing. If this is ok, i will leave ht on.