Liquid Cooling System TOO HOT

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have a Thermaltake Armor+LCS case that had a BigWater 780e installed in it. I have the system set up and my CPU idles at 60 degrees C. Does anyone know how to make it colder or what I did wrong?

Solution
Coasterman. Deal with what you bought. It don't let the smoke out, your overclock is okay, your temps are okay. Replace it as you can.

You bought at the start something we know in the WC world as a piece of %^&% and when you can replace it, do so.

What some are saying is trash the full WC loop (except the new rad you bought) and get a quality air cooled HS till you can afford a real WC loop.

BTW, in 6 months your pretty new rad will probably be funked up due to the aluminum in the original TT WC loop. maybe before a pump gives up or the top of the CPU block decides to crack.

Your problem, part of the hobby. Thank goodness I spent THREE months learning before I bought ONE WC part.

You didn't, best of luck.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
My System Specs:
-----------------------
Thermaltake Armor+LCS, black
Intel DX58SO
Intel Core i7-920
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (2 Drives, 2 TB Total)
Plextor PX-B320SA
Plextor PX-880SA
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Thermaltake BigWater 780e (preinstalled in case by Thermaltake)
Thermaltake Smart Case Fan Blue LED 120mm (Top of case, installed by me)

xaira

Distinguished
get another cooling system dude, if its ur cpu alone cooling, why not get a corshair h50, make sure the radiator of the unit has not been clogged with dust, see if you can get a flow indicator in that loop, make sure there is alot of space around the unit for air to move freely

Fendulon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Yeah the bigwater is not exactly up th i7 heat. The Corsair h50 would be your best bet if you wanted a no maintenence cheapo watercooling unit. Thermaltake has a terrible reputation when it comes to watercooling. I would get it out immediately before it breaks something. A custom loop would do you best, but that is a bit of work.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
It doesnt make sense that if you just have a bigwater then no matter how many rads you install temps will be bad. I already said that I go a new rad. Do I need to get another?

Well, my temps are about 46C right now.

I never get it to top about 70C when running Prime95.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
The bigwater is not a good cooler because...

1. It is restrictive to air.

2. It has a pretty damn bad pump.

3. It has a crappy ALUMINUM rad.

4. It has a crappy block with not much mass.

5. It has a 120mm rad (360mm is recomended for an i7)

6. The mesh in front restricts airflow.

For a better explanation, ask shadow, hes the WCing expert.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Coasterman. Deal with what you bought. It don't let the smoke out, your overclock is okay, your temps are okay. Replace it as you can.

You bought at the start something we know in the WC world as a piece of %^&% and when you can replace it, do so.

What some are saying is trash the full WC loop (except the new rad you bought) and get a quality air cooled HS till you can afford a real WC loop.

BTW, in 6 months your pretty new rad will probably be funked up due to the aluminum in the original TT WC loop. maybe before a pump gives up or the top of the CPU block decides to crack.

Your problem, part of the hobby. Thank goodness I spent THREE months learning before I bought ONE WC part.

You didn't, best of luck.

Solution

Well you should be unless you are willing to spend 80$ on the H50 or 300$+ on a decent loop.

Unfortunately the Bigwater is a crap WC'er, my Air cooler obliterates any thermaltake solution for a fraction of the cost, and no need for any maintanance other than dusting it off every other 3 months or so....

Get a 212+ (just like many here have suggested) for 30$ and watch your temps decrease by more than 35/40% ;)

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't mind spending $300 if i have to. I am just using the BigWater because it came in the case.

It has a flow meter in the front, and it spins fast.

Also, the pump rpm is about 2400 rpm according to its rpm reporting.

Speaking of the crappy rad, Ill see what I can do to replace the rad. Ill keep the fan, but get a Swiftech rad to replace it.

As for the WB, what is the best one?

Ill have to gut the entire WC unit and rebuild it, or see how i am going to replace the rad.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

I would ask conundrum for specific parts for your new build, but i would just use your current loop as a MOSFETT/NB cooler. Not worth using the same components in a new build. Like we have been saying, the build quality of the unit isnt very good and might not survive very long.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I'm Conumdrum. I wrote the sticky at the top. It's full of helpful links to guides, other forums, testing sites, and stores. In a week or so you should have a pretty good idea whats good.

I'm not going to spoonfeed anyone who wants to put water in their PC. Too many bad things happen.