Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II NDA Lift?

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2008 4:40:18 PM

Hi guys. Does anyone knows when is Phenom II NDA lifting?

I heard rumors of it being prereleased on 20th or 22th in Europe.

Anyone?

More about : amd phenom nda lift

December 22, 2008 5:12:01 PM

it was supposed to have lifted on dec 14 but i guess they changed it an i can't find the new date.
December 22, 2008 5:14:14 PM

Why would AMD want to cover up details about a product launch?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 22, 2008 5:38:14 PM

I don't know where I read it but one of the better known sites said "don't go out of your way" to get one.
December 22, 2008 5:51:53 PM

I would guess January 8th as thats the 'launch' date. It will be much sooner because CPU's won't be available until mid February.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 22, 2008 6:09:07 PM

a well known retailer here in Finland have them listed and expects to get some on the second week of 2009...
I was quite surprised to see that they had i7 in stock three days after the launch, usually it has been like two or three weeks before the new stuff gets here :D 

and the dec 14 was about the new athlon x2 7750 or something similar :p 
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2008 7:17:57 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:

ROFL! Uhh, lemme take a guess at the answer... Because of their experience with the P1 launch??

We're starting to see a few hints of underwhelming performance now that it's closer to the paper launch date. I'm prepared to be "disappointed" in it but I'll wait until the thorough and comparative reviews come out.

I suspect AMD doesn't want negative reviews out until after their Q4 earnings report. Their stock tanked a bit today - down over 11% - based on the latest news of losing $189M to now-bankrupt Lehman Bros. in an effort to prop up their stock last summer. I would guess AMD will get back just cents on the dollar after all the bankruptcy dealings are finished - that is money AMD cannot afford to lose. You would think Bob the Rivet would have investigated Lehman a bit more thoroughly before plunking down that kind of $$.

I'm sure AMD would just as soon have an NDA on their earnings report about a month from now :) 
December 22, 2008 7:43:09 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:

"Product Launch" is the day a Company announce details about a product.
In general, leading up to that point they are testing, verifying, and possibly making changes.

The company could be working on MicroCode Updates, BIOS Revisions for Mobo Manufacturer's etc.....

"Launch Day" is the day on which this should all be finalized and ready for an informed release.
Anything before that date may not be completely reliable.

The NDA helps prevent the creation of misconception with everyone releasing facts that may have been true but will not be at launch.

Just about all Hardware/Software manufacturers operate in this fashion.

I see no reason why this release should be different.
December 22, 2008 9:03:30 PM

Hardocp claims second week of January for the NDA to lift.

"Phenom II shows up in the HardForums. First thread with pics and specs and a second thread with benchmarks. Seems they were for sale as well. Two sites had Phenom II 940 and 920 processors for sale, but they have been pulled. For the record, I would not expect to see any official Phenom II information from [H]ard|OCP until the second week of January, as AMD seems to be making us hold our information till it is worthless as far as any surprises. But I will say this, I don't think we would have anything surprising to show you anyway, unless you actually had high expectations for Phenom II. If you own a socket AM2+ motherboard, I would not throw it out quite yet, but I damn sure would not be purchasing a new one."

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzY4NjUsLCxoZW50a...
December 22, 2008 9:08:40 PM

Hardocp claims are completely biased against AMD right now (and forever).
December 22, 2008 9:18:55 PM

spathotan said:
Hardocp claims are completely biased against AMD right now (and forever).

I guess we will have to wait until second week of January to see how biased against AMD Hardocp really is. If his numbers and results do not match other tech sites reviews then you are correct, but I'm not sure if Kyle will stick his neck out like that without having proof...IMO.

December 22, 2008 9:24:04 PM

Kyle was also called a AMD fanboy in the days of pentium4 failure and x2 dominance.
December 22, 2008 9:24:07 PM

They already are by pretty much going against what everybody else has been saying.

I mean [H] pratically blew a load all over the monitor when reviewing i7, which wasnt even that big of a deal and still isnt.
December 22, 2008 9:25:39 PM

gallag said:
Kyle was also called a AMD fanboy in the days of pentium4 failure and x2 dominance.

That was before the "leetness" of C2D. Different story as that changed everybody.
December 22, 2008 9:27:12 PM

All the reviews I saw including toms, tech report, anand gave i7 great reviews. Which site are you referring to?
December 22, 2008 9:28:35 PM

I didnt say i7 got bad reviews. I said Hardocp blew it out of proportion.
December 22, 2008 9:32:47 PM

gallag said:

Exactly, I remember during Atholon's heyday that Kyle was being called an Amd fanboy too. He just told it like it was P4 sucked and X2 kicked ass. The guy doesn't hold back and he was pretty adamant about how bad the Phenom was when it was released and that's when the Amd crowd labeld him an Intel fanboy.
December 22, 2008 9:33:09 PM

Kyle is a self important loser. He slants every gpu setup, he talks down ATI like its just taking up his time, all the while, his precious nVidia is so sweet. The only time hes writing bad about nVidia is when hes not happy with them, again showing bias, and as a writer, thats not the way to go. [H]ard to say what theyre going to say about anything, as facts just dont matter to them
December 22, 2008 9:34:19 PM

Anyways this is going nowhere, so again it looks like second week of Jan for NDA to finally lift.
December 22, 2008 9:53:37 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Kyle is a self important loser. He slants every gpu setup, he talks down ATI like its just taking up his time, all the while, his precious nVidia is so sweet. The only time hes writing bad about nVidia is when hes not happy with them, again showing bias, and as a writer, thats not the way to go. [H]ard to say what theyre going to say about anything, as facts just dont matter to them

Is there anyway it could be possible that your bias is clouding your judgement?
December 22, 2008 10:10:17 PM

Well, I could break it down like they do, and since no one else could achieve what they do, as it all comes down to trust in their gpu benches, trust me on this heheh
December 22, 2008 10:34:24 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

He is the Yang to Charlie at Inquirer's Ying. :lol: 
December 22, 2008 10:48:04 PM

Well, after reading him for a few years, and other sites, I cant say theyre in my top 10, and thats sad. Now for mobos? Thats ok. Cpus and gpus, I go elsewhere.
Part of what theyve responded to is this. Theyre upset others have the chips, and are posting results, and "they" cant make the news. Seems to me theyve just elavated all the other "leaks" in my mind, equivilant to them, which tells alot right there. To them its the news maybe, and not so much the substance, and thats where they fail
December 22, 2008 11:02:35 PM

yea i remember reading some reviews over there. he seems to have an irrational fondness for certain products lol
December 22, 2008 11:07:17 PM

If Annand had said this, and I believe he prefers Intel as well, itd be bad news for P2, no doubt about it, but coming from Kyle, its like a boy crying wolf thing, whos listening?

What Im saying is this. He could be right on. P2 may not be a performer, but coming from him, it doesnt matter, because his credibility has been in question for years, since he perma banned all those people. I have no idea how P2 will perform, and again, just to show how unprofessional he is, he goes and makes such a statement, again, reinforcing what I believe is a widely held opinion of him and his site
December 22, 2008 11:12:56 PM

exactly. i see some comments when they respond to posts over there that kind of spell out their preferences but never would you see that tripe at Annand. not this early, not without totally being convinced.
December 22, 2008 11:22:43 PM

Going by the gpu benches, he makes claims other sites dont, as a certain cards draw distance isnt capable at such a res at certain settings, while other sites seem to not have this problem, all the while "claiming", its because the way "they" do it is more in line with what a typical user would do, yet other sites, like Drivers heaven also bench similarly, and often have totally different results, which brings in questions about their methods
December 22, 2008 11:23:54 PM

i would imagine that site would have been a wonderful crutch back in the mx400 days lol
December 22, 2008 11:25:50 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

Truth be known I think he’s a one testicle idiot (sorry to any one testy men out there this isn’t directed at them), but he’s as much an AMD fanboy as he’s a Nvidia fanboy, if my memory serves me right. With that in mind it appears he’s not happy with AMD right now either; one and one is two, it’s not too difficult to piece this one together. Although I would like to see them make some damned money on their nodes as of late but whatever what will be will be.

Word, Playa.
December 22, 2008 11:39:09 PM

I agree. Theres a quote from the mobo man over there saying itll be a surprise, what that may mean is? Im hoping for the best, just like I did for i7, and still am, once the new gpus come out, and hopefully see more performance out of them yet. Im thinking hes like a kid that cant show off his new toy at show and tell. It could still be decent, and this is but his "1 nut" response
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 23, 2008 7:23:41 AM

The NDA lift was January 8th originally (I might be off a few days). Then someone claimed it to be December 14th. That didn't happen.

So my guess is early January.
December 23, 2008 7:45:58 AM

fazers_on_stun said:

We're starting to see a few hints of underwhelming performance now that it's closer to the paper launch date.

Everything i have seen looks pretty sweet. Dont know what you are referring to, but im sure you have some links :D 
!