8) Do you think CPU prices will drop after Christmas?

Should I get the E8400 + 700w PS now or after Christmas?

• Get it now, the price will probably not lower in January

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Wait because of the new processor coming out

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Wait because of post-holiday sales

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

alyshira

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I found a good Newegg combo of two parts I was actually planning to get.
Basically, I can get an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and a 700w modular power power supply for $190.

I don't know much about the hardware market; should I jump on this deal or wait till after Christmas for prices to drop? The longest I can wait to buy is Jan 8th, when a new processor "Phenom II" supposedly comes out from AMD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.146430
(holiday promo code brings it down to $190).

Thank you!

EAZY-E

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Yes dude wait. Not only is the phenom 2 coming out, but everything is allways cheaper after Christmas. Oh and keep i mind that the q6600 is only 10$ more than the e8400

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Why put off buying? Just get what you want now. I speak from experience that no matter what, the price will drop and you will say "damn" I should have waited. But...................

Remember the little boy who cried "damn". He got everything he always wanted.

The little boy who was always waiting for the price to drop ended up going insane and ended up buying a Dell.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
There is never a good time to buy PC parts. If you sit around and wait for prices to drop, new revisions/updates until you buy then youre going to be waiting forever.

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Actually, with new processors from AMD coming out soon and Intel having just launched a new line (meaning the next one is some months away), it is safe to say that prices will drop somewhat for the non-i7 processors. This guy who works at a computer shop told me that the management told them (I know, I know...rumors) that prices might even drop about 25%...which is pretty good. So waiting till January seems reasonable, especially if you are not in need of a new pc right now (my friend bought one, because his old one could not longer handle wow and he had trouble with his guild)...

On the other hand, this might be an ideal time to buy a graphics card. It's been a long time since we've seen new products, but not many new stuff are on the horizon (GTX295 maybe?). So prices are likely to remain the same for some time more (how long was the 8800 Ultra the most expensive card? Almost a year? I don't remember well, but it was long).

Of course, I could easily be wrong and the people above me right. If you want to buy something now, buy it. If you can wait, then wait (like I do...my E6400 barely survives, but it will get me through the winter and spring. I can wait for the i7 prices to drop).

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just bought a lap top around June '08 and it seems prices have edged up a little bit since then or reduction in the specs.

They know people are more likely to buy now than wait.

If the economy is as bad as the nightly news suggests then you might find some good bargains after the holiday and possibly just before christmas to attract last minute shoppers.

Other than that I think dog days of summer can be a very good time to make purchases as it's just before back to school rush and typically not much going on. Of course this also depends on new tech coming out as well.

There will always be something new and better coming out that is a given.

There will be price drops announded by Intel as soon as Deneb is released - it won't effect the Nehalem prices but the core2 line prices will drop ... the mid range quads and higher end 45nm lines will both drop in price.

Thats my best estimate.

I'd wait till Deneb is released and if your an AM2+ person make a judgement call to jump into a P2 possibly.

If you have a good Intel 45nm mobo then you might be able to pick up a decent quad or high end dual for a good price.

If your already have an older rig (that isn't easily upgradeable) then Nehalem might be the best proposition if you want an uber rig, but don't discount the current 45nm Intel systems for gaming power.

The high end 45nm Intel rigs are still an excellent choice.

AMD fans sitting on an AM2+ rig with a crappy P1 or X2 should be able to upgrade to a P2 for 200 bucks and actually be able to overclock the end result ...

That's good for everyone.