Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Microsoft XP upgrade

Last response: in Windows XP
March 6, 2011 5:05:42 PM

I have a Windows XP upgrade disk and want to install it on a Gateway computer using Millenium (ME) operating system and XP Professional software, all of which worked fine. Will the upgrade disk convert the the ME to an XP operating system or work with it?

Or was it just meant to upgrade the previous (original?) version of the XP operating system?

Richard

More about : microsoft upgrade

Best solution

March 7, 2011 10:54:53 AM

if you have no other info on the "upgrade disc" you need to put it in the system and explore it - i.e. - do not run it

----See if there is an info or readme file on it and then read that.

If your system is old enough to have Windows ME on it, it may be too slow for XP, but I kind of doubt that

Whatever you do, be sure not to start the upgrade until you are sure it is applicable for ME; a diaster could occur if it is not;

also, go to windows forum: support.microsoft.com and post the question there.

B

:hello:  :hello: 

quotemsg=923681,1,842886]I have a Windows XP upgrade disk and want to install it on a Gateway computer using Millenium (ME) operating system and XP Professional software, all of which worked fine. Will the upgrade disk convert the the ME to an XP operating system or work with it?

Or was it just meant to upgrade the previous (original?) version of the XP operating system?

Richard[/quotemsg]
Related resources
March 17, 2011 5:33:58 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Why do you want 2 installations of Xp on the system? Just use the setup you have.

If you really want to install XP over ME you can do an Upgrade.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316639

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/product-review/upgr...

From RP:

Thanks for your response. I don't want two OS's on the Gateway. I just want to know whether the XP Upgrade disk will change the current ME OS to an XP OS -- or was the upgrade disk meant to upgrade a previous (original?) version of XP?
m
l
March 17, 2011 5:51:54 AM

From RP:

Thanks for your response. The diskette reads, "Upgrade, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" and (I just noticed) in small type reads "Includes Service Pack 1, version 2002. The program will search your system to confirm your eligibility for this upgrade edition." This suggests to me that it will only work with the original XP already installed (it is not) and will not convert ME (which is installed) to XP. (Why would they sell the upgrade for less than the cost of the original XP???)n But what do you think?

The processor speed should not be a problem: it is an AMD Athlon running at 1300 MHz with cache memory.

Very good idea to check Microsoft on the original question, though they don't want to hear anything about ME anymore -- and perhaps not XP either! But I'll try.

Thanks again.

RP

brucehot said:
if you have no other info on the "upgrade disc" you need to put it in the system and explore it - i.e. - do not run it

----See if there is an info or readme file on it and then read that.

If your system is old enough to have Windows ME on it, it may be too slow for XP, but I kind of doubt that

Whatever you do, be sure not to start the upgrade until you are sure it is applicable for ME; a diaster could occur if it is not;

also, go to windows forum: support.microsoft.com and post the question there.

B

:hello:  :hello: 

quotemsg=923681,1,842886]I have a Windows XP upgrade disk and want to install it on a Gateway computer using Millenium (ME) operating system and XP Professional software, all of which worked fine. Will the upgrade disk convert the the ME to an XP operating system or work with it?

Richard
[/quotemsg]
m
l
March 17, 2011 5:52:22 AM

Best answer selected by rpompian.
m
l
!