Sign in with
Your question

Need Help with Starting computer for first time

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2008 8:02:16 PM

Ok so I finished installing all the hard ware for my new computer and I turn it on for first time. The Problems:
1. No signal to my moniter.
2. My Mouse and Keyboard do not light up, they r USB btw.
3. I can turn it on using the power button, but when i go to shut it off it wont power down using the power button and it would not reboot when i hit the restart button either.
Note: All fans seem to be running, all led lights are on, the power and reset button light up on my motherboard.
The is my first computer build, pls help me figure out whats wrong.

More about : starting computer time

December 22, 2008 8:27:42 PM

Quote:
The is my first computer build, pls help me figure out whats wrong.

I would do this. Unplug everything including hard drive(s). optical drives, case fans, PCI cards...everything except the following.

CPU/HSF
1 DIMM RAM in slot 1
video card

If the system fails to boot into BIOS with this configuration, you know one of five things are causing the problem. The tree listed plus the MB and PSU. HTH.
December 22, 2008 8:30:51 PM

It would help if we knew your spec's. List your systems components. Also I would get an old PS/2 keyboard.
Related resources
December 22, 2008 8:30:55 PM

1. is the power cord to the monitor plugged in? cable attached to video card?

2. the mouse and keyboard plugged directly into a mobo based usb port?
is usb enabled via the bios? if plugged into expansion terminal go back and make sure it's wired properly or just plug them straight away into a usb port off the mobo.

3. alot of system require you to hold the power button in to power down.

you have two buttons. power button and reboot. If these aren't wired properly they won't work right, be sure to check your mobo manual to verify this.

does the motherboard beep when first posting?

once you check all the stuff above, shut off power to the mobo. no lights on the mobo then reset cmos either by the jumper or remove the battery for 30 sec or so then replace, this will reset cmos values to default.

then get into bios and set your values save and reboot.
December 22, 2008 8:36:43 PM

We'd definitely need more information, but I'd say it's 90% likely that, assuming you are NOT an expert with hardware, you have failed to properly connected everything. If this seems possible in your case, the best place to start - the place an expert would start - would be ... the manual. You should check to ensure that all of the cables coming from your case (the case itself, not the whole computer) are properly plugged into your motherboard, along with all of the appropriate power cables.
December 22, 2008 8:51:17 PM

UPDATE: Ya'll were right, I failed to connect the 4 pin connector from motherboard to the psu. Now the computer starts, posts, and i can get into the bios. BUT I am now having another problem. After setting my DVD drive to be 1st priority to boot, i put the vista 64 bit OS disk in and powered off and back on. It starts to work and shows a screen where it says windows loading files, after that finishes it goes to black screen with a small green porgress bar towards bottom and that loads, then it goes to having to whole screen like a blu/turcoise background and the mouse clicker is on the screen and I can move it, but nothing else happens after that. Any ideas as to what the problem is?
December 22, 2008 9:06:08 PM

Wait a while eventually the install screen will come up.
December 22, 2008 11:14:31 PM

thanks for help guys, i now offically have a working computer that I built myself, with the aide of this site of course.
December 23, 2008 12:59:28 AM

rusty1989 said:
thanks for help guys, i now offically have a working computer that I built myself, with the aide of this site of course.

That's fantastic. Congrats. What are the specs?
!