Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I think I fried my HD 4870...

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2010 3:00:41 PM

I have a XFX HD 4870 1GB graphics card on a M3A78-EM motherboard with a Phenom II X4 940 BE. I overclocked my processor from 3.0 to 3.3 ghz and the graphics card a little too. The GPU is clocked at 750mhz and the memory at 900mhz. I used rivatuner to booster the core to 780mhz and the memory to 1066mhz, these speeds where chosen by ATI catalyst Overtune feature, so I thought I'd be safe. I run GPU-Z so I can keep an eye on the GPU core temp and it never gotten too hot.

Anyway, I logged on to my favorite games yesterday, and the colors aren't right. I see patches of color in the sky instead of a nice homogenous sky. I think I fried some of the memory, so the card still shows a picture, but not what it used to be. Anyway, I guess I fried it. Anyone have a similar experience?

More about : fried 4870

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2010 3:11:55 PM

Try re-setting the GPU to its stock settings and see if you continue to have distorted colors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 3:27:28 PM

Just Reinstall the drivers.
That will solve all your problems.

When I OCed my Geforce 6200TC same thing happened.
Problem fixed by reinstalling drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 3:28:21 PM

And yea...
Back to stock speeds
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:31:17 PM

I had already reinstalled the drivers, that's why I thought the board was fried. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled, and that did that trick! It's working fine again! Thanks guys, I was about to buy an HD 5770, which isn't as fast a card. Thanks again for your advice.
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:33:15 PM

Oh yeah, that was my last foray into overclocking my video card. A few frames per second isn't worth having to replace my board and a comparable board will cost me $300. I got mine in Oct 2009 for the unbelievable price of $125 and it has 1 gb of DDR5.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 4:42:45 AM

^lol.

OC doesn't fries.
High temps burn hardwares.So as long as temps are ok you don't need to worry.

Seems like your card doesn't likes OCing. :) 
m
l
January 11, 2010 4:55:37 AM

shubham1401 said:
^lol.

OC doesn't fries.
High temps burn hardwares.So as long as temps are ok you don't need to worry.

Seems like your card doesn't likes OCing. :) 

Not always, too big frequency or too much voltage and some component could die from too much stress.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 4:57:35 AM

xrodney said:
Not always, too big frequency or too much voltage and some component could die from too much stress.

Can you set voltage on a GPU?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 12:58:03 PM

fencer55 said:
Oh yeah, that was my last foray into overclocking my video card. A few frames per second isn't worth having to replace my board and a comparable board will cost me $300. I got mine in Oct 2009 for the unbelievable price of $125 and it has 1 gb of DDR5.

Don't let that incident stop you from gaining some extra performance from your 4870, just be sure enable manual fan speed control in the Catalyst Control Center or in RivaTuner and then up the fan speed to at least 85% before starting a gaming session; and then manually reduce the fan speed when done gaming.

The 48xx series of gpu's do not like to be overheated but the stock fan is more than enough to keep it cool (even if oc'd) providing the you manually up the fan speed to dissipate the heat. Do not let the driver determine/control the fan speed because it never ups the gpu fan enough to compensate for the heat generated from oc'ing or extended gaming sessions.
January 12, 2010 1:10:35 PM

chunkymonster said:
Don't let that incident stop you from gaining some extra performance from your 4870, just be sure enable manual fan speed control in the Catalyst Control Center or in RivaTuner and then up the fan speed to at least 85% before starting a gaming session; and then manually reduce the fan speed when done gaming.

The 48xx series of gpu's do not like to be overheated but the stock fan is more than enough to keep it cool (even if oc'd) providing the you manually up the fan speed to dissipate the heat. Do not let the driver determine/control the fan speed because it never ups the gpu fan enough to compensate for the heat generated from oc'ing or extended gaming sessions.

Thanks for that information chunkymonster. I tried your suggestion, and the fan kept the card at its stock temperature, even under heavy load!
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:26:47 PM

Best answer selected by fencer55.
m
l
!