I think I fried my HD 4870...

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have a XFX HD 4870 1GB graphics card on a M3A78-EM motherboard with a Phenom II X4 940 BE. I overclocked my processor from 3.0 to 3.3 ghz and the graphics card a little too. The GPU is clocked at 750mhz and the memory at 900mhz. I used rivatuner to booster the core to 780mhz and the memory to 1066mhz, these speeds where chosen by ATI catalyst Overtune feature, so I thought I'd be safe. I run GPU-Z so I can keep an eye on the GPU core temp and it never gotten too hot.

Anyway, I logged on to my favorite games yesterday, and the colors aren't right. I see patches of color in the sky instead of a nice homogenous sky. I think I fried some of the memory, so the card still shows a picture, but not what it used to be. Anyway, I guess I fried it. Anyone have a similar experience?

Solution

Don't let that incident stop you from gaining some extra performance from your 4870, just be sure enable manual fan speed control in the Catalyst Control Center or in RivaTuner and then up the fan speed to at least 85% before starting a gaming session; and then manually reduce the fan speed when done gaming.

The 48xx series of gpu's do not like to be overheated but the stock fan is more than enough to keep it cool (even if oc'd) providing the you manually up the fan speed to...

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I had already reinstalled the drivers, that's why I thought the board was fried. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled, and that did that trick! It's working fine again! Thanks guys, I was about to buy an HD 5770, which isn't as fast a card. Thanks again for your advice.

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Oh yeah, that was my last foray into overclocking my video card. A few frames per second isn't worth having to replace my board and a comparable board will cost me $300. I got mine in Oct 2009 for the unbelievable price of $125 and it has 1 gb of DDR5.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Not always, too big frequency or too much voltage and some component could die from too much stress.

Don't let that incident stop you from gaining some extra performance from your 4870, just be sure enable manual fan speed control in the Catalyst Control Center or in RivaTuner and then up the fan speed to at least 85% before starting a gaming session; and then manually reduce the fan speed when done gaming.

The 48xx series of gpu's do not like to be overheated but the stock fan is more than enough to keep it cool (even if oc'd) providing the you manually up the fan speed to dissipate the heat. Do not let the driver determine/control the fan speed because it never ups the gpu fan enough to compensate for the heat generated from oc'ing or extended gaming sessions.

Solution

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

Thanks for that information chunkymonster. I tried your suggestion, and the fan kept the card at its stock temperature, even under heavy load!