Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it wise to have SSD as OS drive?

Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2010 11:41:55 PM

I heard that SSD is very bad for p2p apps, such as bit torrent. Is it wise to have a SSD as OS drive on a PC that bit torrent is used a lot on it?

Will I be fine if the target of download is set to the traditional HDD?

More about : wise ssd drive

March 6, 2010 12:18:13 AM

Hmmmmmmm......

Perhaps SSD is too new for people to be familiar with.
m
l

Best solution

a c 115 G Storage
March 6, 2010 12:40:36 AM

No....but the post was less than an hour old.....

I would say that 99.5 % of SSD's have the OS on them. You can d/l to any drive you want.....given download speeds, an old slow HD would be more than enough.
Related resources
March 6, 2010 12:44:56 AM

Will it still harm my SSD if I install bit-torrent app on SSD but make the download target to HDD?
m
l
a b G Storage
March 6, 2010 12:52:40 AM

I have several core programs installed on my SSD but I store their output files on a traditional harddrive (i.e. Photoshop is on my SSD, but I store the output on my Seagate 7200.12, MS Office is installed on my SSD, but I save my Access / Excel files to my Seagate drive, etc).

Steve
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 6, 2010 3:25:30 AM

You pay a lot of extra money for an SSD, and what you're paying for is performance.

Torrents and other Internet uploads/downloads are limited by the speed of your Internet link, which is a LOT slower than an SSD. It won't hurt the SSD, but there's really no reason to put it there - those types of files will work just as well on an HDD. Might as well put them there and save the SSD for performance-critical stuff like the OS files.
m
l
March 6, 2010 5:14:09 AM

Thanks all.

p.s. I like the answers from both JackNaylorPE and sminlal, but I will give best answer to Jack as he made reply first. It was so difficult to make the decision BTW.
m
l
March 6, 2010 5:21:03 AM

Best answer selected by andy5174.
m
l
March 6, 2010 8:15:24 AM

andy5174 said:
I heard that SSD is very bad for p2p apps, such as bit torrent. Is it wise to have a SSD as OS drive on a PC that bit torrent is used a lot on it?

Will I be fine if the target of download is set to the traditional HDD?

I have an SSD and it makes no difference for downloading, as your write speed is still going to be much much faster (even to an older HD) than the download speed going to the disk. The biggest difference (outside of the enormous cost of a sizeable SSD) is that the read speeds are much faster than a typical HDD. Apps on my system nearly all open instantly and load times for games are almost non-existent.
m
l
!