Striker II Extreme 4.5GHz E8400 2000mhz RAM problem.

cfhuk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hey Guys. Hope you have a little time to give me a hand here.

As you may have guessed from the thread topic, I have an Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard, and I have just purchased new memory for it. I have upgraded from OCZ Platinum 1600MHz @ 7-7-7 1.95v to Team Extreem LV 2000MHz @ 9-9-9-24 1.65v.

With the old memory (4x1GB sticks) I had my E8400 running at 4.5GHz (2000fsb 9.0x multi) at 1.65v VCore. I know, that seems a little high, but the temps weren't, as its water-cooled with XSPC gear and the chip itself is lapped. The Ram was set to automatic and so was everything else and the chip got 4.5ghz without going over 50 degrees for ages. The idle temp was 35 degrees on average.

Now I've put in the new ram. 2000mhz and 2 x 2gb sticks and I've set the timings in, and let the motherboard do it on auto. Neither seem to make much difference. Memory voltage is 1.66v as I can't set to 1.65 with my board increments. This seems to be best for the ram so far after setting above and below. 2000mhz fsb on the processor and I've tried a range of voltages on there as well with no luck in booting the OS. It gets to the loading windows screen and even to the desktop sometimes but then bsods (if it gets that far) or just freezes. Most of the time it doesn't even get as far as loading windows. The old voltages don't seem to work, I'm thinking because of the lower voltage requirements of the memory. I have been trying for hours to get this right, and the internet so far is no help, some claims being 4.5ghz at 1.2v and some at 1.4v, not many near 1.65v like me. Does liquid cooling increase the voltage requirements or something?

Another problem I have experienced with this is I CAN get it to boot with the ram and cpu set at 1600, but when I do... the lan doesn't work anymore, even with fresh installs of windows 7 and live cds of linux. (Ubuntu, Crunchbang and Xubuntu). Everything claims my Airport Extreme is an unidentified network and it has no internet connection. If i plug the cable into any other pc it works and identifies fine, and the wireless is also fine, so its specific to the PC.

Cheers for any and all help.

cfhuk.

r_manic

Administrator
I'm assuming your power supply can't support what you're trying to do, because in my experience when particular components of your computer are failing, that's the cause. Unless of course there are issues with the particular component. What's your power supply?

cfhuk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Its a NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W with 25Amps over 4 12v rails. I've been looking at a few new ones as I think the amps may be a bit short, and when clocked normally the problem goes away.

I started trying to get a new GTX 260 going with an 8800GTS between the two SLi'd 260s, and noticed the PSU got hot, but its not been too hot since i took that out, but still crashing.

I'm not too sure what I'm looking for in a power supply when I'm trying to push the CPU up to 4.5GHz to match the RAM FSB at 2000MHz, plus running 4 HDDs, 3 in RAID and two graphics cards. I don't think the water pump will be sucking that much power.

Any advice on this? The Corsair tool recommended a 1000Watt supply and said I was trying to run a small town, but I think that may be geared more towards making me spend money rather than giving me actual advice. When you can have 1000Watt on 6 rails at 18Amps each, or on a single rail at 75 Amps, I don't really know what to go for, only I need at least 25 Amps for a single GTX260.

Help please?

cfhuk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Btw, Ive resorted to running the RAM at 1800 9-9-9-24 at the moment, with 3.03ghz on my 3.0 ghz C2D. Pitiful OC.