Recommendation for Mobo & Memory

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
As a follow up to a previous thread, I think I'm going to upgrade my system.

My Current Rig:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
4GB PC-6400 RAM
X1950PRO 512MB

Potential New Rig:
?? Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R /--OR--/ GA-EP45T-UD3LR /--OR--/ <Something Else> ???
Intel Core 2 Quad 9550
?? 4GB DDR3 1333 /--OR--/ 8GB DDR2 800
X1950PRO 512MB

I'm building a system for my dad and I'm giving him the Mobo, processor, and RAM. I'm planning to get a Core 2 Quad Q9550. I do a LOT of web design and programming. It's not uncommon for me to have Visual Studio 2008, Illustrator CS3, Photoshop CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, and many browsers open at once.

I'd like recommendations on a good Mobo and RAM to with the Q9550 & that would meet my needs.

I don't have tons of money to spend on the ram. I'm considering going with 8GB of PC-6400 b/c I could really use the 8GB of ram right now, and I can't afford that much of the faster RAM. (Plus, I haven't seen a lot of reviews on them.)

I'm looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R or GA-EP45T-UD3LR. If there is a better one, I'm certainly open to them. (I've just had good luck with Gigabyte and these got great reviews.)

As far as the RAM, I'm currently considering 8GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (if I can get my hands on it for $40 ;) ). Or possibly 4GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 (for $69).

Any advice?

Thanks!

Chad

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to stick with my current board and go with the DDR2 800 RAM (was only going to upgrade the Mobo for the faster RAM).

How important is it to find memory on the "Memory Support List" for Gigabyte boards? Does it really matter that much?

Not really. That list shows which modules were tested by Gigabyte. However, their testing resources are limited and there are a lot of RAM models that do work and they just didn't have the time and cash to test them. Also, the list shows some codes that are usually hard to associate with actual names of items on Newegg.

An easier way IMO is to check Newegg reviews of the motherboard and see what kind of RAM other people have used, especially people who gave the MB 5 eggs.