Re-install windows XP

brucehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I had to change my motherboard on my system; I am running XP pro. The system came up with the error message:

"NTLDR missing"

I tried to repair XP but ended up re-installing it on the same hard drive; the option to repair didn't display when i ran the setup disk.

Now I have two versions running - the first one runs fine but none of my programs will run - the error message is:

"Application failed to start; application configuration is incorrect"

All of the programs are still present but I can't run them.

The second version just keeps rebooting.

Any idea how to get my programs running?

And remove the "second" version of windows?

Thank you all

You have to re-install the applications under the new Windows setup. Your computer does not have the registry entries or any other files Windows may need to run the programs you installed under your old Windows setup.

From the sound of things you are just trying to start the program ddirectly from Program Files. That wil be there because you did not format the drive before installing the new Windows.

I would not mess with the 2 Windows versions, you don't want to remove the wrong one from startup or delete the wrong files by accident, although it's not very hard to do. You just need to edit the boot.ini file and remove the one you don't want starting.

brucehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for repsonding - I thought windows would always try to repair an existing installation before proceeding with a new install

Delting one version of it in the boot.ini file is not an issue- either way , if i delete the wrong one, then I would just reformat and start over

Can I use any text editor, like windows notepad, to edit the boot.ini file??

Thanks again

B

Yep, boot.ini is just a text file. You need to unhide hidden and system files to see it.

brucehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011

I did un-hide the files in the windows directory - is in another sub-directory?