Processor upgrade

I have a pentium d 925 3.0 800 fsb. I want ot upgrade my cpu to sopmething faster i do some games but mainly appa and alot of internet downloads. I was thinkin of getting a pentium d 960 3.6 with 800 fsb but was told to go with an e4700 2.6 with 800 fsb. Now I know the core 2 duo's are faster because they offer a faster front side bus, but i was told i can not go with a faster front side bus. So I want the fastest cpu with an 800 fsb. So far the e4700 and the pentium d 960 are my choices. Please help!
4 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade
  1. get the e5200 dude 800fsb and 2.5GHz! FTW! and 45nm! and more cache! and heaps of overclocking headroom! you won't be disappointed =]
  2. why are you hesitant to get a better processor? i agree with venom, and i think you should definetly go for a nice core 2 duo, but i would recommend a higher model like something around the E8200. Anything with E8** will be 45 nm, which is good.
  3. I am not hesitant at all to get better processor. But i was told i can only go with a cpu with 800fsb or i would go with e8 number series as i know that a cpu with 1333fsb would be faster. but my board and bios wont allow for anything faster than 800fsb. So I want the fastest 800fsb cpu i cant get until i build a different computer. Thank you
  4. lotsapower101 said:
    I have a pentium d 925 3.0 800 fsb. I want ot upgrade my cpu to sopmething faster i do some games but mainly appa and alot of internet downloads. I was thinkin of getting a pentium d 960 3.6 with 800 fsb but was told to go with an e4700 2.6 with 800 fsb. Now I know the core 2 duo's are faster because they offer a faster front side bus, but i was told i can not go with a faster front side bus. So I want the fastest cpu with an 800 fsb. So far the e4700 and the pentium d 960 are my choices. Please help!

First, you need to see if your motherboard supports upgrading to Core 2 CPUs. A lot of motherboards that supported Pentium Ds don't support Core 2s, so you need to make sure your motherboard supports newer CPUs. If you tell us what motherboard (or computer) you have, we can help you out.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Processors