Hyper 212plus - applying thermal paste

I have just been looking at the following article on the best way of applying paste to HDT coolers like mine.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

However I want to clarify first about filling in the channels between the base and heat pipes. Can the thermal paste tubes apply a thin enough amount of paste to go directly into the channels? Or do you have to apply a layer over the channel and use something to fill the paste into the channels? I also assume there will be excess paste above the channels that needs to be removed once the channels are filled in. What would I use to remove this excess paste? I’m sure it shouldn’t be removed using my bare hands? Can I just use a cloth?

Sorry for the dumb sounding questions but adding a different cooler to a CPU is completely new to me
6 answers Last reply
More about hyper 212plus applying thermal paste
  1. What I did was clean the base with alcohol then put some thermal paste in the channels and smooth it out with a razor blade which I also use to remove the excess.

    Then I put two small strips of paste on the two divider channels between the heat pipes (don't go overboard) about 1/3 of the length of the base.

    Now carefully install the heat sink.

    That link gives you a good idea of the size of the beads anyway.

    Dont' try and wipe the base down after filling the channels because you'll likely end up removing some of the paste in the channels and it won't be flat.

    Running a razor blade across the top is just fine and if you use it to take off any excess whatever is left is simply filling voids anyway.


    ETA: Oh I forgot to add don't use your fingers on a base ever unless you have plastic gloves on because our bodies have oils and acids in them which would transfer to the metal and cause unwanted results.
  2. LoneWolf_53 said:
    What I did was clean the base with alcohol then put some thermal paste in the channels and smooth it out with a razor blade which I also use to remove the excess.

    Then I put two small strips of paste on the two divider channels between the heat pipes (don't go overboard) about 1/3 of the length of the base.

    Now carefully install the heat sink.

    That link gives you a good idea of the size of the beads anyway.

    Dont' try and wipe the base down after filling the channels because you'll likely end up removing some of the paste in the channels and it won't be flat.

    Running a razor blade across the top is just fine and if you use it to take off any excess whatever is left is simply filling voids anyway.


    ETA: Oh I forgot to add don't use your fingers on a base ever unless you have plastic gloves on because our bodies have oils and acids in them which would transfer to the metal and cause unwanted results.



    Thanks LoneWolf.

    One more question for you. What did you use to clean the base with? I understand you used alcohol, but did you use the alcohol with a lint free cloth or cotton wool bud or something else?
  3. Another guide:

    Some notes on applying thermal paste to the Xigmatek

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252942-29-some-notes-applying-thermal-paste-xigmatek
  4. Do you still recommend adding a pea sized amount of thermal paste to the CPU as well? Or the two stripes of paste on the block is good enough?

    I have to redue my Hyper212+ install later this week, been getting 30C-63C on my i7-860 at home.
  5. jimmybog said:
    Thanks LoneWolf.

    One more question for you. What did you use to clean the base with? I understand you used alcohol, but did you use the alcohol with a lint free cloth or cotton wool bud or something else?


    I generally use cotton Q-Tips as I can get into tight spots with them.
  6. jrel209 said:
    Do you still recommend adding a pea sized amount of thermal paste to the CPU as well? Or the two stripes of paste on the block is good enough?

    I have to redue my Hyper212+ install later this week, been getting 30C-63C on my i7-860 at home.

    I used the method in the link you provided: "two short lines measuring half the total length of the processor were placed on the two center mounting base partitions." I did not put any paste on the CPU.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

    Prior to applying the two stripes of paste I prepped the channels using the method described by LoneWolf:
    Quote:
    "put some thermal paste in the channels and smooth it out with a razor blade which I also use to remove the excess.
    ...
    Dont' try and wipe the base down after filling the channels because you'll likely end up removing some of the paste in the channels and it won't be flat.

    Running a razor blade across the top is just fine and if you use it to take off any excess whatever is left is simply filling voids anyway."


    With the stock fan, my i7 860 was running at ~25 C idle and > 80 C Prime95 8 threads or IntelBurnTest. After installing the Hyper 212+ it idles at 18 C and hits ~52 C Prime95 8 threads and ~56 C Intel Burn Test. All measurements taken with the room at 18 C.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Thermal Compound Overclocking