New computer for small business

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
My dad needs a new computer for an employee.
hers isn't working terribly well right now. It doesn't need anything special(small HDD, 2GB RAM etc.) It will have what it needs(documents et al) by being connected to his server.

It needs to be somewhere around $500. Basically it's a discount build that needs to be reliable

Who is going to support it?

It's cool that you want to build one and all, but you need to look at software and support with something like this. In these cases it's usually best to go down to Best Buy or wherever and grab a Compaq/HP/BrandZ.

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
My dad has a tech guy who does work for him. He manages a government building with networks and security features.

Support is no problem

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
We just need the hardware. The CE will load the software.

We need the case, monitor, keyboard, and all the stuff for inside the case.

budget is now $800

Yep, it will run Office, HD movies, and internet all at the same time if you like.

Just won't do great in games, LOL.

If you wanted to spend more, the processor and memory could be bumped up... there might be some small gain from that, but it's not needed really.

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
thanks! that's what we needed to know.

My dad is going to email the CE that list and compare it to what geofelt said to use. i actually don't have a good feeling about prebuilt systems

anyone have a third option? Proximon, your build has nothing to worry about

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
thanks. i'll see what he says. although he probably won't want to spend too much money because the computer is for an employee work station.

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
that's what i have in my custom build. works really well. can't wait to test it with games on XP64

I'm guessing that it would also be compatible on the original motherboard?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
You absolutely 100% should NOT build your own system.
Go to Dell or HP and buy one of their business line of systems.

They normaly come with next day on-site service.
In addition, if any software from any major software vendor has an issue with the computer and BIOS, then there is a good chance the companies will get together and fix it.

The Business Class computer will be more reliable, it will be cheaper, it will have better hardware support, and it will have better software support.

Feel free to build your own for home.
If you want to do your Dad a huge favor, try to explain to him why he should by a business class computer from HP or Dell.
(No, not their consumer line, their business line.)

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
i think i said earlier in the thread that my dad has a CE that manages the computer network for 3 government buildings. support is NOT an issue

why do you think i shouldn't build a system?? The CE will do the software and support. plus make sure all the networking is good. With a homebuilt system, it's much easier to upgrade because you know the specs of the interior.

(sorry to everyone else if they think i got a little mad. I don't take kindly to people blatantly telling me not to do something)

I haven't talked to many people who are fans of prebuilt systems, especially dell.