Help! My bios does not detect my hard drive.

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I am attemptong to boot up my "new" home built PC. Because of an oversight on my part, the MB does not have two IDE drive ports. So I must use my previous C drive and the CD/DVD RW drive as a D drive until I get the beast running. The bios booted up at first power, but when I went into the bios, the HD( C drive) was not detected. I am using a old style ribbon cable to connect the C & D drive to the MB. Is it possible to connect the ribbon cable in a reverse fashion so that the C drive (master) would not be detected and only the D drive would be seen?

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
:sleep: I think that I understand you answers; but you both did not really answer my question. Is it possibel to plug in the IDE cable 180 degrees out of phase (upsidedown)? The C drive comes from my old PC whose MB had developed detection problems (it did not recognize the video card any longer) and that C drive was on the end of the old cable and it is now connected to the end of the new cable. Maybe I should just temporarily disconnect the CD/DVD RW and see it the bios now will detect the C drive.

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

think that I understand you answers; but you both did not really answer my question. Is it possibel to plug in the IDE cable 180 degrees out of phase (upsidedown)? The C drive comes from my old PC whose MB had developed detection problems (it did not recognize the video card any longer) and that C drive was on the end of the old cable and it is now connected to the end of the new cable. Maybe I should just temporarily disconnect the CD/DVD RW and see it the bios now will detect the C drive.

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

think that I understand you answers; but you both did not really answer my question. Is it possibel to plug in the IDE cable 180 degrees out of phase (upsidedown)? The C drive comes from my old PC whose MB had developed detection problems (it did not recognize the video card any longer) and that C drive was on the end of the old cable and it is now connected to the end of the new cable. Maybe I should just temporarily disconnect the CD/DVD RW and see it the bios now will detect the C drive.