Sign in with
Your question

EP45-UD3R Erratic IDE recognition & no sound

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2009 5:58:13 PM

So I am upgrading my rig from an AMD 3700+ EVGA Mobo Patriot memory combination to the new rig below.

Here's my rig:

Motherboard:Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
CPU: Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16 GHz
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB
Video Card: EVGA 7800GT
HDD1: WDC 200 GB IDE HDD (Primary Drive)
HDD2: Seagate 250 GB Sata (Data Drive)
DVD Drive: Lite-ON IDE DVD burner
Case: Antec Sonata with a 500W power supply

I got a DOA motherboard first. I RMA'd it and got one that works 2 days ago.

The motherboard has a 2x4 ATX power supply, but my power supply only has a 2x2 cord. The documentation with the motherboard claims that the mobo will work with the 2x2 supply.

I'm not overclocking at this point, but indend to (if I can ever get past the simple things first)

Here are my problems:
1. When I start up, the computer only goes looks for the OS on the IDE HDD IF I HAVE A BOOTABLE DVD/CD in the DVD Drive!
at this point, I just skip the boot from CD option and boot from HDD

2. On a "restart", the motherboard refuses to recognize both my IDE devices, the primary HDD and the DVD drive. So I can't boot! I have to physically power off, and then boot again. Only then does the mobo recognize my IDE devices.

3. When I get past around these issues (I have to do this every time) and into the OS, I can't get windows to install the Realtek HD Audio drivers and the soundman. I have attempted to install multiple versions of the drivers. I get to the point where the installer says, needs restart, and when I restart, there is still a PCI device (the HD audio, I checked the device id) not recognized.

So I'm really hurting with the upgrade to this new Mobo, with a lot of strange issues.

Any bright ideas?

--Help!

Thanks,
Vittal
a c 233 V Motherboard
January 26, 2009 6:41:09 PM

1. What's the boot sequence?

2. This sounds like a BIOS configuration issue, but it could be anything at this point. Try to resolve #1 first.

3. Did you install the latest Intel chipset drivers (from Intel, not Gigabyte)? I'm pretty sure that I had to install them on my EP45-UD3P to resolve that issue in Vista 64 and Windows Server 2008. This may also help: http://www.gbt-tech.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model...
m
l
January 27, 2009 1:02:36 PM

1. Boot sequence: CD Drive and then HDD

2. I agree I need to resolve #1 first.

3. I will try the intel chipset drivers tonight.

Also, my Motherboard is rev 1.1
My bios is version F5. I believe there is version F6 out. I will update those two and see what happens.

--Fingers crossed! :??: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 233 V Motherboard
January 27, 2009 4:25:14 PM

Don't update the BIOS from Windows. Do it from the BIOS utility using a USB key. I's much safer.
m
l
January 28, 2009 12:49:42 AM

Updated the BIOS to version F6. I'm still having issues.

I noticed that my IDE devices and my SATA devices are all showing up as SCSI drives.
I'm not sure why. I have a feeling something is not right with the drivers.

Similar to the issues in:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ide-dvd-burner-seen-scs...

I'm going to reinstall windows and install the drivers one by one to see what happens.
m
l
a c 233 V Motherboard
January 28, 2009 1:37:29 AM

Do you have any device connected to the GBB36X controller SATA ports (purple connectors)?
m
l
January 28, 2009 1:55:25 AM

I HAD my SATA drive connected to the PURPLE ports. I now have it connected to the YELLOW SATA ports. I just reinstalled windows.

Now the drives turn up as IDE devices. The motherboard seems to recognize the IDE drives on the restarts.

I still need to install the drivers.

I want to see if the system has problems booting into windows. Will update
m
l
January 28, 2009 2:18:15 AM

So now the devices are recognized every time.

But it seems like the only way I can boot is if I have the CDROM as the first boot device, and then put a bootable cd in there AND the skip the boot from CD option. ONLY then does it boot into the IDE drive OS.

It will still not boot if I have the HDD as first boot device. I also have the IDE drive as the first drive to boot and the SATA drive as the second one.
m
l
January 28, 2009 3:09:24 AM

Next update.

I just got the Audio to work. I had to install the Microsoft UAA bus drivers (from the "All language" version) instead of from the version with the Realtek stuff.

The remaining problem at this time.

Not able to boot into the OS on the HDD without having the windows CD in my DVD drive (and skipping the boot from CD).

Any clues?
m
l
January 28, 2009 2:42:19 PM

I posted another similar issue the other day about my DVD drives being on the IDE connector yet being identified as being on a GBB36X SCSI controller and just not functioning correctly and being unable to enable DMA for them.

I finally right clicked on the GBB36X controller and "updated driver" selecting the Standard Dual Channel IDE driver and the DVD drives now work correctly with DMA being enabled.

I don't yet have the patience to read all the data I can find on the hardware so I don't know the reason why but it's apparent that the IDE connector is mistakenly being recognized (by Gigabyte's own installer) as a SCSI controller.

Must have something to do with the controller chip to which it's connected (the GBB36X/JRaid?) and, for an IDE connector using DVD/CD drives, that's just not quite right.

After all, why would anyone buy a board with 8 SATA connectors only to decide to use the IDE connector as a RAID device? If you happen to have some old drives to use and want to wring out the last bit of performance from them by putting them onto an IDE RAID, maybe. But drives are way cheap now and you can easily put two brand new 500GB SATA II drives on the SATA ports and RAID them for $100.

Regardless, the chip set installer seems to possibly be getting some items installed slightly incorrectly.

For the record, all my hardware devices appear to have been installed correctly, including sound, except for the IDE connector on my GA-EP45-UD3R.
m
l
a c 233 V Motherboard
January 28, 2009 5:17:25 PM

Quote:
It will still not boot if I have the HDD as first boot device. I also have the IDE drive as the first drive to boot and the SATA drive as the second one.

How did you achieve that? The BIOS allows for a single hard disk to be selected in the bot sequence. The disk to boot from is the first disk in the list of disks, but only the first one shows up in the boot sequence. Is that what you meant? What's on the SATA disk?

Can you boot from the IDE disk if you press F12 at POST to enter the boot device selection menu and select that device?
m
l
January 30, 2009 5:39:54 PM

OK, so everything is fixed now. Here's the issue.

Since there is only one IDE port on the motherboard, I had to use a single cable to connect my IDE HDD and the IDE DVD drive.

The longer end of the IDE cable was connected to the DVD drive and the short end was connected to the HDD drive.

The jumpers were set to using the HDD as master and the DVD drive as slave. The cable however, thought the DVD was the master, since it was connected to the long end of the cable (the master end!)

So I switched the jumper settings. Made the DVD the master, the HDD the slave. And voila! Everything worked!

Anyway, I have decided to get rid of the IDE HDD and just use the SATA drive. I will be getting a second SATA drive sometime. (Maybe one of those new 2TB drives from WD!)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts as I navigated through this mess.

And now, onto Overclocking! :) 
m
l
February 12, 2009 2:54:46 AM

qhorque said:
I posted another similar issue the other day about my DVD drives being on the IDE connector yet being identified as being on a GBB36X SCSI controller and just not functioning correctly and being unable to enable DMA for them.

I finally right clicked on the GBB36X controller and "updated driver" selecting the Standard Dual Channel IDE driver and the DVD drives now work correctly with DMA being enabled.

I don't yet have the patience to read all the data I can find on the hardware so I don't know the reason why but it's apparent that the IDE connector is mistakenly being recognized (by Gigabyte's own installer) as a SCSI controller.

Must have something to do with the controller chip to which it's connected (the GBB36X/JRaid?) and, for an IDE connector using DVD/CD drives, that's just not quite right.

After all, why would anyone buy a board with 8 SATA connectors only to decide to use the IDE connector as a RAID device? If you happen to have some old drives to use and want to wring out the last bit of performance from them by putting them onto an IDE RAID, maybe. But drives are way cheap now and you can easily put two brand new 500GB SATA II drives on the SATA ports and RAID them for $100.

Regardless, the chip set installer seems to possibly be getting some items installed slightly incorrectly.

For the record, all my hardware devices appear to have been installed correctly, including sound, except for the IDE connector on my GA-EP45-UD3R.

I also recently Purchased the GA-EP45-UDR3 and had the same problem, actually went out and bought a sata dvd drive after exhausting every solution i could find.

Fitting that i find your solution the same day i get my new drive but setting the SCSI controller to the default instead of Gigabyte's GBB36x driver fixed the problem.

Just wanted to say thank you... much appreciated.
m
l
February 20, 2009 6:44:18 PM

john95624 said:
Just wanted to say thank you... much appreciated.

No problem. I initially missed it because the CD/DVD drive was actually working properly for a while and there were no issues showing in the Device Manager. So you would naturally assume everything was installed properly.

I admit to not really knowing which package had the issue - Windows installer or the Gigabyte CD. I don't have the time to test as I am almost done installing all my software and don't want to revert back to an initial install point. Maybe later when I have some downtime.

It will be worth knowing where the root cause is and preventing it earlier rather than later.

Good luck!
m
l
May 28, 2009 9:57:08 PM

You guys saved me with this IDE CD/DVD issue. Here's a trick I used after that.

I gutted a system. Replaced mobo/cpu/memory and used an EP45-UD3P. Love the board. Harddrive came off Asus/AMD platform running Server2003, so I had no way to enable the Intel RAID controller. The driver install failed with the platform not supported error, since the system would not boot with RAID enabled in BIOS. The driver would not install without RAID enabled in BIOS. Kind of a catch 22.

Instead of using the Intel controller to boot, I plugged into this GBB36X sata 0 interface in IDE mode. It found the disk and booted into Windows under the non-Intel controller. Then I uninstalled the IDE controllers called Intel ICH10 2 port and 4 port in device manager. Restarted, but went back into BIOS and enabled RAID on the Intel before booting into Windows. Now the boot drive is on the other controller, so no BSOD. Windows finds new RAID controller hardware (cancel out those boxes). Installed IATA88ENU.exe and shutdown. Plugged the sata cable back into the Intel header and - VOILA - booted into the newly installed RAID controller. Now I see Intel ICH10R under SCSI and RAID controllers instead.

And the documents said you need reload... HA! :kaola: 
m
l
December 15, 2009 8:18:20 AM

I want to add my thanks to qhorque! Who would have thought that changing the GBB36X controller driver would solve all the problems I was having with IDE DVD drives in TWO machines ... I finally realized the drives worked fine in other machines and the problem was the Gigabyte motherboard. Once I added that to my search I immediately came upon this solution. THANKS AGAIN!
m
l
December 15, 2009 5:55:38 PM

Glad I was able to help. To this day, I still don't know where the misconfiguration occurred. It just failed to load the right driver at the right time and only by looking at it and thinking about what I was seeing did I realize there was a discrepancy.

I will note that I have loaded Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 in both 32bit and 64 bit as well as the official purchased upgrade when it came out in both 32bit and 64bit and the IDE controller was correctly recognized. I did not install any chipset drivers from the Gigabyte CD yet. So perhaps that's the location for the error.

Just goes to show you that, even though Device Manager does not display any yellow exclamation points or other errors, there are no problems!

I have a ton of old hardware and software that fails to work in W7-64bit and kind of works in W7-32bit and have to get that all squared away before I work on a full reload with this board and a new OS. It's slow going for sure.

Good luck with the rest of your progress.
m
l
December 20, 2009 2:47:05 PM

Thanks again qhorque! Was not following the thread, so missed your reply. Came back because I needed to update another (Vista) machine and wanted to be sure I remembered the fix correctly.

Am sure you're right, problem probably starts when loading the chipset drivers from the Gigabyte CD. I build machines with LOTS of internal SATA hard drives, so use IDE for my optical drives. One of the first things I do is load the Gigabyte chipset drivers.

BTY, for anyone else having this problem on Vista machine, the sequence to get to the "Standard Dual Channel IDE driver" choice is:

- Right-click on Gigabyte GBB36X Controller
- Choose Update Driver Software
- Choose Browse my computer for driver software
- Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers
m
l
!