Feeling a bit slow...

raivn

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
> i hope this is in the right section

i built my computer just over 3 years ago, not knowing much about what i was doing. i mainly used parts that were last year's top of the range bits that had dropped in price and it has served me well; however things tend to move rather quickly in the world of computers and i find my games have become increasingly demanding and are now being run sluggishly on medium or even low settings.

NVIDIA geforce 7600 gt
AMD athlon 3200+ 64 processor (2ghz)
2gb ddr2 400mhz
k8n neo4 - f motherboard

thats what's inside the box, i just bought a new 600w silent psu which is beautiful.

im looking for something that will last for a few more years, i don't use vista but 4gb ddr2 800mhz of ram seems logical from the prices available, with the rest upgraded to reflect that, i am assuming my motherboard is the weakest link at the moment. i really dont know too much about processor and motherboard combinations, which is why i am asking here.

i have had a look around but thought i'd ask for opinions before i hit the shops the only constraints i really have are that i can only spend around £400 on this though it is flexible really, and that my monitor only accepts digital input :sarcastic: ...

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You are going to have to upgrade the motherboard,cpu,ram and graphics card if you are looking for something that's going to last you another couple of years.

raivn

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
if i replace all 4 of those parts with something along the lines of the following:

Intel Q6600 Quad - 2.40 GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz
XFX Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
Kingston HyperX KHX8500 2x2gb

any other suggestions?
what motherboard should i be looking at?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
for a gaming machine, spend more on a graphics card than a CPU.

the standard sugestion is a C2D (games don't use 4 cores, not much of anything does yet), maybe a C2Q if your in it for the long haul, or its a serious work machine too. a p45 chipset motherboard, and an ATI 4850 graphics card.

you don't get much more performance out of high end memory, stick to DDR2 800.