PCI Video Card: x1550 or 8400GS?

fapri

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
ok, so i have an aging system with an agp slot. the agp already has an x1950 pro in it and i'm using the 2 dvi outputs for a dual monitor setup.

i'd like to have a 3rd monitor to help me with my work. web developer.. 1 screen for code, 1 for the site i'm working on, and the main screen for ftp/reference/database/docs = 3 monitors.

so i'm shopping around for a pci video card, cause i don't wanna upgrade yet to an SLI/CrossX solution.

and no, i won't be playing on the pci card as it will just handle a text editor, maybe a movie at most.

i've been looking at the x1550 for a long time cause it looks like the best one out there. the egg has one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161227 for $73+ship

but i recently found out the egg also has an 8400GS(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245) for $60+ship

both of them are good brands. both use DDR2, but the 8400 has 512mb versus 256mb with the x1550. card comparison says the 8400 wins by some: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=506&card2=576

my concern is, which one will cause me less trouble? i'm worried the nvidia might mess up with driver support. but i'm also worried the ati might conflict with my main x1950 card.

i have winxp btw.

the comparison page above from gpureview lists 8500gt has a pci version, but i have yet to find it anywhere.

i didn't include the hd 2400 pro pci because it looks like the x1550 beats it.

comments/suggestions are very welcome. thank you!!!

You cannot have both ATI and nVidia drivers on your PC, they will be competing for the same resources and will conflict with each other. Actually, I heard that you can, but it will take a lot of tweaking.

Since you will not be gaming with this card, who cares how powerful it is? Get an inexpensive as possible ATI video card to fit in the PCI slot.

He's running XP, you can have both drivers on the same PC (rather easily unlike Vista which is an extremely unstable hack breaking WDDM) but it's still a hassle because while you can do it (mainly need to follow proper driver install order), it's just adding headaches and increasing conflicts, which still happens even with one driver and the same hardware just less of them. So the ATi choice since there's already ATi hardware.

I would agree, just get a cheap PCI model, but I would say keeping the same DX/SM/OGL level is a good idea although not required. Although adding an HD2400Pro would likely not hurt things either, and I wouldn't realy say the X1550 has any advantage over it for what you're doing.

G

+1 for really cheap card... just get a dirt cheap one... as long as it supports your resolution and has DVI ports... you should be fine

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
If you can find an ati 2xxx series for a similar price, that would be the better choice. You're not going to see a difference in anything at all between the two if you're only doing general app work. But on the other hand, the 2xxx series (and anything above) can process high deff codecs, and is generally more up to date with drivers and power saving technology.

fapri

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
thanks for everyone's input! i appreciate it!

i will update when i get the new card. my only gripe with the ati 2xxx series is they are on the pricey end and whenever i remember i can get a 8800gt AR at the price they're going at, i back out. =D