Sign in with
Your question

Do I need drivers if I am upgrading to Windows 7? Help!

Last response: in Windows 7
September 7, 2011 9:24:19 PM

So I am upgrading form windows vista home premium to windows 7. I want to know if I need to install drivers if I upgrade from vista to 7 again? Will the installation ask for the drivers cd?

Thanks
September 7, 2011 9:32:09 PM

Win 7 should have all normal hardware drivers in it for older hardware. If in doubt you can check your hardware company's website for Win7 drivers and the Microsucks website usually has a list of drivers included in each Windoze version.
September 7, 2011 10:59:06 PM

The cool thing about Win7 is it will find the right driver for your hardware through the Microsoft Update Service. Install 7 and go through the motions of Microsoft Update and it should find all the drivers for you.
Related resources
September 8, 2011 12:40:25 AM

Ok, so do we lose any data through the upgrade? If it doesn't im guessing the driver files will remain.
a b \ Driver
a c 372 $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 12:41:54 AM

Are you upgrading to the same bit?
September 8, 2011 4:03:34 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Are you upgrading to the same bit?

Well, since I am upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate it will let me choose...so right now it is 32 bit. If I upgrade to 64 bit will I lose data? What will happen if I upgrade to 32 bit to 64 bit or from 32 bit to 32 bit? any issues?
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 7:31:25 AM

If you do an in-place upgrade from 32bit to 32bit, you lose nothing. Moving to 64bit requires a clean installation, which means the drive will be formatted and you need to make backups.
September 8, 2011 9:09:40 AM

Herr_Koos said:
If you do an in-place upgrade from 32bit to 32bit, you lose nothing. Moving to 64bit requires a clean installation, which means the drive will be formatted and you need to make backups.

NO. Upgrading to x64 from x86 will indeed require a clean install, but the old installation will be bundled up as windows.old and all the files will be available for use. Not the paid programs though (Office, Photoshop, Metastock, whatever).

And this, if you install on the same drive. Installing on a different drive will not affect your current installation one bit.

And if all you got is upgrade media & you wanna duel boot, there are many tutorials on the net that lays out "How to clean install from upgrade media"?
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 9:48:56 AM

^Thanks for the clarification. The installation does include the option to format the drive though.
September 8, 2011 4:06:36 PM

Ok, then I think I would just stick to 32 bit since i'm not going to anything serious...just to clarify if I do upgrade to 64 bit you someone said that the old vista 32 bit files will be stored in windows.old or something like that, will they contain all the data? I don't want to lose any data that I have right now in my current os(vista 32 bit) whatsoever.
September 9, 2011 3:48:54 AM

Whichever version you upgrade to, that is exactly what's gonna happen if you did a clean install. However with 32 from 32 (or 64 from 64), you'll have an option for "clean-install" or "upgrade-install".

Going from 32 to 64, you won't even have that option.

And no, you'll not loose any data on a clean install- Docs, music, vids. Just the old OS will be rendered useless and the paid-for programs (if any) won't recognize your computer.
!