Can't even get to BIOS!

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Hey everyone, I was hoping somebody can help me out with a problem I'm having. I just got and installed a new PSU into my computer in order to better power a 9800GX2. It's a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer. I installed it, connected everything, and when I press the power button the fans all start up but nothing happens. I don't hear any hard drive activity, and the computer just runs with the fans on without any activity. The monitor doesn't sense a connection, so nothing appears on screen.

I tried resetting the CMOS, running with only one memory stick installed, and the same thing happens.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I would double check all the connections. Vidcard could have got bumped, reset it and the cables. Even if they look OK, unplug and replug.

And you made both power connections to the graphics card?

In that case I guess you should re-seat everything. Probably something got loosened when you pulled the old PSU out. Unless of course the old PSU blew up :p

I've got the same PSU (PC & C 750 Quad), it's a fantastic supply. Did your old supply die? Or are you just replacing it to have the extra headroom? If the supply didn't die, I would try the old one again. PC & C has an excellent reputation, but no manufacturer is invulnerable to having DOA units. If your old supply did die, it's likely that when it went it took something out with it. Motherboard is the most obvious. You have already tried another graphics card. RAM is another thing that could have been damaged. So once you have gone over all connections, then you need to look into the above.

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
The old PSU was just inadequate (random freezes)... I called PC &C and they told me to upgrade to a 750 watt version, so I did. I took a DDR2 module out of a computer that works and used only that in this computer, and again the same thing happened.

I guess I'm left with a dead PSU/mobo?

tomfool

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Download and run from a floppy a test for your Hard drive such as WDdiag
for a westaern digital drive. Could be that your hd has some corrupt files or is dying.

Hope something is just loose :)

I had same problem but turned out to be my video card died.

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I double checked the RAM, and I am only running with one stick that works in another system... so I'm guessing it's not the RAM? As for the PSU, everything turns on (fans, video card fan, etc.)... so could it still be the problem?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you have the same problem with the old PSU, then it's not the PSU. Unfortunately the 182 and most other new cases don't come with a speaker to allow you to hear any POST failure beeps. Can you extract the little speaker from the other computer and install it on the mobo? You can leave it safely hanging.

I would try booting with just the bare essentials: VGA, RAM (1 stick), PSU, and mobo. Unplug all drives from the motherboard and from the power supply. If this will POST, then you need to try adding stuff back in until it fails again.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
happened to me once. motherboard got bumped and was shorting out on the case. had to reseat the entire board and do everything over.

problem here is that there are tons of things this could be. good luck and keep us updated

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Ok, so I took out everything and put it all back together. I even reseated the processor on the HSF. I tried booting up with just a video card, one hard drive that works in another computer, and one stick of ram that works in another computer. Again the same thing happens, where fans power on and nothing else happens.

I'm really at a loss here... do I just do a mass RMA?

TRENDING THREADS