Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2008 2:00:44 PM

Antec TPT 650
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Q6600, stock clock
Xiggy S1284
4x 2GB OCZ 1066
2x Visiontek 4870

I just replaced my E6400 and stock cooler with a Q6600 and a Xiggy 1284EE and I had in mind to OC it but at idle, speed fan is giving me 38, 38, 35, 39. Under full load it's giving me up to 55's. It is currently 72 F in my room. I don't think I can do much overclocking with those temps, but I was expecting this cooler to be much....well....cooler. So I'm thinking I did something wrong.

What temps should I expect at stock? I applied the thermal paste according to recommendations by someone from some forum I can't remember. He said to put a single stripe in the middle perpendicular to the pipes. Several others replied and said that's what they did too. Is this the right way to do it? I sure as heck hope I don't have to reseat this cuz it's a royal pain... I basically have to disassemble my entire system.
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 2:15:57 PM

I assume it's the go q6600... Tcase or cpu max is 72c for that chip, and tjunction max or core temperature is around 100c, give or take a couple/few degrees. I would read the temperature guide by Computronix, in regards to temperatures and speedfan calibration.
December 23, 2008 4:32:37 PM

It is the G0.

So at what core temps would you consider to be too high?

The CPU temp is 22C, system is 46C. I'm not sure exactly what those are referring to. I confess I don't know much about temps or OC'ing if I haven't made it painfully obvious. I've read the stickied temp guide but it didn't seem to have any practical application. It's been a while though so I'll look at it again.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 4:44:04 PM

Yeah the Xigmatek HDT coolers are a pain to install. I did my Xiggy 1283 not to long ago. One core always shows warmer than the rest (did not before with previous cooler) so I'm sure it could be better if I re-seated it.

However, your temps look ok. With the HDT-S1283 version, I run temps slightly lower than yours @ 3.2Ghz (approx 32-35C @ idle). Typically my ambient temps are similar to yours (near 72F). Course my ambient all depends on how long my PC has been running, as it tends to warm up my room. ;) 

My case & cooling setup internally may differ from yours too, so you can't completely take my temps as gospel. Not to mention you have a different version of cooler.
December 23, 2008 6:18:10 PM

jerreece, the temps I posted are at stock clock of 2.4. If you're getting the same temps from OC'ing to 3.2, wouldn't mine be much higher if I clocked to 3.2?

CPU-z is showing my voltage is 1.232. Is that overkill?
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 6:46:06 PM

therschbach said:
jerreece, the temps I posted are at stock clock of 2.4. If you're getting the same temps from OC'ing to 3.2, wouldn't mine be much higher if I clocked to 3.2?

CPU-z is showing my voltage is 1.232. Is that overkill?

I'm not super familiar with the Xiggy 1284EE. I heard someone else mention on these forums once before that it was not quite as good as the Xiggy 1283. I've never seen test results for the 1284 myself. So you could look into that. Ultimately though, my point is we're not using the same exact cooler & case, so we can't expect the same exact results anyhow.

However, if you're showing similar temps to mine, but at stock voltage & stock speeds, you're either running warmer than you should be, or your cooling system simply isn't as efficient as the setup I have.

My Q6600 runs at 3.2Ghz with 1.425V set in BIOS (this equates to 1.39V after vdoop according to CPU-Z). So my CPU should definitely be putting out more heat than yours. Keep in mind however, that I've got a 120mm fan in the front of my case, a 120mm fan venting out the rear (mere inches from my Xiggy), the cooling fan from my PSU blowing out the rear, and a 90mm top venting fan. Not to mention, I have a huge opening in the side of my case since I removed the 25cm fan to make room for my Xiggy. My video card is also dual-slot so it vents out the rear.

I only mention all that so you can compare your setup. It could be as easy as my case having more ventilation than yours. Or maybe not.

As far as your voltage being 1.232, that's probably about normal for stock. Nothing overkill there.
December 23, 2008 7:31:52 PM

I've started OC'ing and the temps actually haven't gone up much. Right now I'm at 57, 57, 55, 56 (Core 2 seems to consistently be lower than the others) with vCore at 1.248 and clocking at 2.925. Stable so far. I'm wondering what my "I've gone too far" temperature should be.

Sounds like my setup is close to yours except I don't have a top or side vent. I have a 120mm exhaust at full, 120mm intake at full, PSU exhaust, and two HD4870's with their exhaust slots. The 120mm on the xiggy is also about two inches from the exhaust and blowing right into it. Maybe I should get a CD bay fan. I'm thinking the GPU's maybe using quite a bit of the air coming from the intake which is at the bottom of the case and blowing right into them. They almost act like a baffle, cutting the case in half. They're so freakin' huge.
December 23, 2008 7:48:38 PM

If you go to 65c, you wont risk damaging anything. But I would keep that around your max just for the chance that it might spike in temps and start throttling back in the middle of a game.
If i were you, I'd reseat your cooler and if things dont improve, spring for something different.
With my q6600 I'm at 3.6Ghz Idling around 37ish and maxing at 55. And I've got a cheap coolermaster hs.
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 7:56:00 PM

@OP: If you aren't using the bolt in kit (back plate) I highly recommend you getting that.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 7:56:56 PM

Yeah

The Xigmatek s1283 is better perhaps by like 5c than the xigmatek s1284

weird huh?

a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 8:01:59 PM

I'd have to agree with curnel_d on the temp issue. I wouldn't allow it to go past 65c at 100% load myself. With current games, you'll likely not hit 100% load on all 4 cores, but I like to play things safe rather than risk it.

December 23, 2008 8:57:57 PM

I'm gonna keep it at 3.0....I'm still increasing the voltage for stability, but my temps now are 59, 59, 57, 58. I won't go over 60...I like safe. :D  Current vCore is 1.264 and I expect a few more incremental increases before I'm stable.

And yes, I got the bracket. Had to basically disassemble my entire system to get the thing mounted. :sarcastic:  Which is why I'm trying to avoid having to reseat it. I can't loosen the screws without taking the fan off. I don't think I can take the fan off without taking the motherboard out....or at least that'd probably be the fastest way to do it.
December 23, 2008 8:57:58 PM

the core max is 90c not 100c as previously stated for the GO Q6600.

this change in the core temps will improve ur temp score from 38 to 28c meaning that the temps are not as bad as u think.

change the TJmax to 90c (giving u roughly 60c from the max) in core or real temps, and adjust the temps in speedfan,
December 23, 2008 9:01:27 PM

i have just realised also that the Go stepping Q6600 also has a low Vcore stock of just 1.2,

adjust the Vcore to this value and stress test untill u have the best value, My Q6600 was able to get to 3.2Ghz on stock Vcore and a freezer 7pro cooler with temps of 30,30,26,26.
December 23, 2008 9:11:30 PM

sorry there actually temps @ 3.5 with a Vcore of 1.312
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 9:23:53 PM

papalarge123 said:
the core max is 90c not 100c as previously stated for the GO Q6600.

this change in the core temps will improve ur temp score from 38 to 28c meaning that the temps are not as bad as u think.

change the TJmax to 90c (giving u roughly 60c from the max) in core or real temps, and adjust the temps in speedfan,

Where do you get your info on the TJmax as 90c?

My understanding, was that this value was thought to be 95c, and recently changed to 100c by the folks who write the Real Temp software. From what I understand, there is no reliable source (from Intel at least) for exact values on the TJmax, which is why there is so much debate.

Thus, I'm curious where you hear 90c.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2008 3:17:36 AM

Very interesting. Unfortunately my Adobe Reader plugin isn't working properly. I had to fight with Adobe Standard to open the URL Tom's provides for the Intel PDF file. But that file doesn't appear to have any actual temp data tables in it.
December 26, 2008 3:55:02 AM

its not the coolers fault the cores are different temps jerreece, its the way the chip was designed.... although the HDT coolers probably aren't as efficient in some places (ie the aluminium bits) as the standard coolers..
!