Sign in with
Your question

The directory or file cannot be created

Last response: in Storage
March 6, 2010 9:08:15 PM

Hello,trying to copy pics from flash drive to another flash and i get the message on some pics the directory or file cannot be created

More about : directory file created

March 6, 2010 9:22:18 PM

Is it the directory or file? Is the drive you're trying to copy to the same size? Is it the same file structure?
March 6, 2010 9:32:49 PM

i can copy all the pics from one flash to a file on my laptop..but it wont let me copy all of them back onto my new flash...they are pics taken on mobile fone and with a camera
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
March 6, 2010 11:14:25 PM

Are you trying to copy all of the pictures into the root folder (the highest level folder) on the USB drive? The root folder has a limit as to how many files and folders it can hold. If that's the problem, you can create a folder called, say, "Photos" and copy everything into it (there's no limit for other folders, only the topmost one).
March 7, 2010 2:07:36 PM

sminlal said:
Are you trying to copy all of the pictures into the root folder (the highest level folder) on the USB drive? The root folder has a limit as to how many files and folders it can hold. If that's the problem, you can create a folder called, say, "Photos" and copy everything into it (there's no limit for other folders, only the topmost one).

Hi...im copying the pics which are all jpeg...from my flash drive ive tried sending them to my new flash but get the same message...i saved them on my laptop in my pictures folder....managed to copy the first 61 but then get the message...its driving me mad...hope you can help
a c 415 G Storage
March 7, 2010 4:47:22 PM

Instead of just using the "send to USB drive" option on the pictures, try this:

Open up an Explorer window showing the pictures you want to copy.

Use "Start -> My Computer" to open up a second Explorer window showing the drives connected to your computer.

Move and resize the windows so that you can see both of them at the same time.

In the "My Computer" window, double-click on the USB drive so that you can see its contents.

Right-click in the right pane of the USB drive window and select "New Folder".

Change the name of the new folder to "Photos"

Double-click on the "Photos" folder so you can see its contents (it will be empty).

Now in the window that shows your photos, select the ones you want to copy (see tips below) and drag them from that window over to the USB drive window and drop them there.

Some tips for selecting photos:
- Clicking on a file selects it.
- Clicking on one file and then shift-Clicking on another one selects all the files from the first to the last one.
- Control clicking on a file adds or removes it from the files that are selected.
- Control-A (Hold Control key down and press "A") selects all the files in that folder.
!