Sign in with
Your question

E8400 very high temp on P5Q PRO

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2008 6:21:14 PM

Hi All, I am having great difficulty with my new build and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Currently using the ASUS P5Q Pro using E8400 CPU with stock HSF, applied AS5 before mounting. I have installed Vista and everything runs fine EXCEPT the temperature seen with RealTemp is extraordinarily high.

When I first got the setup running, I immediately ran RealTemp and saw the CPU is around 90+ degrees. I am not over clocking and everything is set to default values. For some reason, RealTemp reports my clock speed as 2 GhZ (333x6). The CPU stays at 90+ degrees without running any programs HOWEVER there is a CONSTAT load of around 40%.

My first impression was that I did not have an updated BIOS so I flashed the BIOS with the latest version. My CPU temp then dropped to around 80+ degrees. However, RealTemp still records the clock speed as 2 GhZ and I was thinking that the auto settings on the mobo were wrong so I manually set the clock speed to 333x9.0 and also the CPU voltage to 1.06875.

So when I go into BIOS, the temp is around 60+ degrees.

I went back into Vista and the clock setting of RealTemp FLUCUTATES between 2GhZ and 3GhZ but there is again a CONSTANT load on the CPU

Here’s a pic just to show that I do not have any processes running in the background:

So I’m stuck as to know what to do next. I’m a novice with the BIOS settings and I’m not sure if I have all the correct settings. Also, I suspect that this may be a jumper setting on the mobo but I’m a complete novice to what those jumpers mean. Does anyone have any hints as to what’s wrong?
a c 102 à CPUs
December 23, 2008 6:51:41 PM

Why did you apply AS5? The stock HSF comes with excellent paste that doesn't need to be replaced. Are you sure that all pins are fully inserted and that you didn't apply too much paste?

It's normal for the clock speed to drop down when the CPU isn't busy enough.

In Task Manager, click Show processes from all users and then click the CPU column to see which processes take up the most CPU cycles.
December 23, 2008 7:09:06 PM

Quote:
Why did you apply AS5? The stock HSF comes with excellent paste that doesn't need to be replaced. Are you sure that all pins are fully inserted and that you didn't apply too much paste?

Because I was getting 90+ degrees. I figured the thermal grease on the HSF was not doing it's job so I cleaned it off and then applied AS5. I used the line method to apply the grease and I dont think I used too much. Should I spread the grease over the cpu at all?

Quote:
In Task Manager, click Show processes from all users and then click the CPU column to see which processes take up the most CPU cycles.

note my LAST picture shows the processes and as you can see, there are no processes in the background. However, it still says that I have 40% load
Related resources
December 23, 2008 7:27:25 PM

Looks to me like you got 45 processes running.
a c 102 à CPUs
December 23, 2008 7:53:16 PM

If your processor is busy at 40%, then it's probably working at the kernel level (you should also display kernel times). You need to figure out why your temps are so high. If the HSF is installed properly, i.e., properly seated, then check the core voltage. When the multiplier is at 6x (6x333Mhz=2Ghz), the core voltage should be relatively low. Mine has both cores at around 32°C at idle.

Can you post what CPU-Z displays for the CPU?
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2008 8:18:35 PM

I'm thinking there's an issue with the way the heatsink is seated. Even if your CPU was truly at 40% load all the time, you shouldn't be hitting 80-90c temps anyhow.

You've got two separate issues.

1) Why is your CPU at 40% usage?

2) Why is it running so hot?

I'd suggest you try to determine what it is that's running and keeping your CPU busy. However, I think first and foremost you need to correct the temp issue directly. You shouldn't run those high of temps even at 100% usage, in fact you should be much below 80c.
a c 102 à CPUs
December 23, 2008 11:09:33 PM

It's at 40% usage because other processes are running. The Task Manager picture only shows 15 processes and there's no scroll bar - there are 30 additional processes that are running, but not displayed because "Show processes from all users" has not been clicked.
!