How can i change my preference of my graphics card

pcho

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hey guys, i'm new to this stuff, but i just bought the nForce 750a motherboard, and i've already put my computer together...i know its kind of late. But i would prefer using my ATI X850 graphics card rather than the one that comes with the motherboard. I tried playing a game, and my fps was stuck at 60, and i hear that was because my graphics card is on the one that my motherboard came with.
If you guys can help, that would be great!

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
60fps is quite goood (depending on the game of course).

To clarify do you have the X850 installed? If you do the onboard graphics should auto switch itself off.

pcho

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Yea i hate it all installed, just correctly, it's installed by the pci-e, and i've plugged it in and everything, the power is on, but when i try and reinstall the drivers for my own graphic card, it says that there's a problem, and it wouldn't let me install it completely. And i'm playing Counter-Strike, and with my X850 i run an easy 100fps, and yea 60 is good, but if i have the possibility of running with 100fps, then that'd be better hehe

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
If the card is in the PCIex slot and the monitor is plugged into the card, then yes you are in fact using the card and not the integrated video.

pcho

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
ooooo ok ok yea wow i never thought of that...but another question i have is that when i do plug the screen into the graphics card that i do want to use, it doesn't even load up onto my screen, its just black, and i checked and the graphics card is loaded, and the fan on the graphics card is even running

pcho

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

So i did exactly what you said, and whenever i do plug in my monitor, the screen just turns black, and nothing happens

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Go into your BIOS, there should be a video option letting you select On-Board, expansion slot (might be called something else), or auto. Usually they're set to auto, in your case, set it to use the PCIe card.

Styxx

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
100 fps is rediculous, your monitor probably has 60 (or maybe 70) Hz which means anything above 60fps is practically unnoticable

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
need to plug monitor in the intergrated port first, go into bios and set primary vga to pcie. then turn pc and move the cable over

randomizer

Champion
Sounds like you have Vsync, or Vertical Synchronisation enabled. Check the video options in CS, it should be there.

You've obviously never played CS. 100FPS is bare minimum what you want :lol: