Sign in with
Your question

The benchmark for old pc users looking for nongamer pc upgrade.

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2008 12:29:48 PM

Well, how could i put this?
Although im 24, Im not this ancient pc nerd that played with commodores 64 etc, but im still somewhat oldschool, since i still remember back in 1999\2000(?) being amazed how well my friends pentium III 450mhz did better in unrealtournament than my amd k6 450 mhz both in softwaremode (yes, we didnt had a decent 3d accelerator card good enough to run the game in 3d or opengl), and then how the hell my other pcs friend, a cyrix 166mhz with a voodoobanshee did better than our pcs on that game..that said i started to get interested in pcs and graphic cards etc. Even more when he sold me his voodoobanshee and when i plugged it in my amdk6 450, unrealtournament and other games just rocked the world, and then the ultimate test, quake3 arena, and yes it runned pretty much ok for the time, and my pentium 450III friend just said : well if you can run quake3 like that, you can run everything man!

Thats indeed laughtable by todays standards of course, but the main point of my thread is:

Theres a sort of benchmark that i never saw, and it would be somewhat interesting. It consists on assembling the best generation possible hardware from one year, lets say 2003\2004 technology, and then assemble a pc with the cheapest specs possible from todays technology and then compare then in benchmarks.
It might sound wtf at the beggining but lets think about it a bit better, many people still have today athlon xps and pentium 4 3.2 ghz with ati x800 or 9800xt\pro, and would like to know how they stack against lowend technology from today because they dont want to waste much money on a great pc because life goes on, they dont game that much and they would like to know how better a new system would perform in comparation with their pretty_old_system_but_good_for_the_time_they_bough system, without making a hole on their wallet.
And still it would be interesting seeing some old technology beating todays technology in some apps showing that they still can do something useful for the user.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2008 12:59:28 PM

I am still using a 2 Ghz Pentium 4 with 512 meg of Rambus memory and a Radeon 7200 Video Card. I use it for an office PC, works perfectly and does the job just fine.
My parents are still using an old 550 mhz Gateway PII or PIII, (cant remember) and I have tried and tried to put something together better for them, but they insist it works just fine and don't want to "change" anything.
October 1, 2008 1:18:37 PM

Hmm... I think I do get your point.....

Well, for starters for usual games, A Pentium 4 @ 3.0Ghz is as fast as the Pentium Dual Core or Athlon64 X2 @ 2Ghz. This is because a lot of games today support dual cores. However, if the game isn't. You'd usually need a 2.2Ghz Intel / 2.4 AMD processor.

Now the most powerful of the Pentium D series, I think it's called Extreme Edition, is as powerful as an Athlon64 X2 5000 Black Edition on stock. But since the 5000 Black Edition can be easily overclocked to 3Ghz......

As for video cards, the Radeon 9800 could be as fast as the 6600GT. So by pure speculation I'm thinking about the 8500GT. This applies to new games though, not old games as generally the new video cards have tweaks that enable better performance on newer games, but the Radeon 9800 should be faster than the 8500GT on older games (Pixel Shader 1.0 games?)
Related resources
October 1, 2008 1:36:02 PM

Yes, my point is testing a full assembled rig against a standard\low end rig in order to make sense about the real evolution technology has made through the years

And this link from toms helped me start thinking about this sort of bechmark :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card,1923-...

A geforce 3 ti500 from 2001 is as good as a geforce 7300LE from 2007 (?) !
Of course we are talking in raw power, because the older card lack all the lust from direct x 9 etc, but it would be interesting seeing a whole rig vs another. Just a though.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2008 1:48:51 PM

1856041,3,310978 said:

Now the most powerful of the Pentium D series, I think it's called Extreme Edition, is as powerful as an Athlon64 X2 5000 Black Edition on stock. But since the 5000 Black Edition can be easily overclocked to 3Ghz......

quotemsg]

Clock for clock.... an Athlon 64X2 is nearly twice as fast as a Pentium D at the same clock speed. There is simply no comparison......
!