New PC and would like advice please

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
So... looking at selling my quad tower and building a new computer.

Here's what I'm thinking:

E7200
Gigabyte Micro ATX mobo on newegg (forget numbers, but it's the one for 58.99)
2 x 2gb G.Skill ddr 2 800
2 x 250gb Seagate Barracuda (thinking of raid if the mobo will let me and if it's easy to figure out)
Antec EA380 power supply
Case?? I want something really small... thinking of a lanbox, but not sure about fitting video card in there.
There's a 22.99 dvd read/write drive from LG on newegg I'm looking at.
Friend has an extra copy of Vista Business 64bit, so I'm covered on OS.
Not sure on video card, that's where I'll ask for some more advice...

I run a 20" Acer monitor at 1680 x 1050. Looking for a good single card option under 200.

I love my 4850, but wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks.

Ummm, why?
Your Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz is more than enough power and the rest of your system is fine.
IMO, what you propose looks like more of a downgrade.
Even if you went ahead with it, you really should get a better PSU than an Earthwatts 380w...

If you get the 4850, you will have to change that PSU:

ATI Radeon HD 4850 System Requirements

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.

What in the world are you trying to accomplish?

What will you do with the new PC?
Games?

E7200 CPU is a drop in capability, either from fewer cores, cache, or clock rate.

Micro motherboards have integrated graphics. Because of that, you can't overclock them hardly at all.

What type of raid do you want, and why?
Raid-0 is a questionable performer increase.
Raid-1 is not sufficient for data protection.

The $22.95 LG burner is IDE, not very good IMHO.

If you want a portable lanbox, then a change might be in order.
But... You will be limited in what you can put in it.
There will be a trade off between capability and noise.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

That's the one. No RAID is fine.

Friend wants quadcore for server, I want to help him out.

My new PC will have Vista 64 bit and 4gb of RAM... that will be an improvement.

I don't do much that requires 4 cores (or anything really) So a dual core at 3.0 won't be a big downgrade really.

As for PSU, that PSU has been tested on some pretty hardcore systems on an OC forum I go to, so I figured it should be fine.

Recommended requirements are always a bit high, but in the case of the 4850 you are probably right.

I know for a fact I could run a 8800gt with no problems on it, I've seen it done on other forums with more peripherals than I have.

I wasn't sure on the ATI's power use vs an 8800gt but wouldn't mind using either to be honest.

Gaming and light programming using XNA game studio and C++. Some basic photoshop maybe once every couple months.
Play games like SC2 when it comes out, Fallout 3, Call of Duty 4, Assassin Creed, Oblivion, etc etc. No crysis though, I tried it and found it to be not so great... so whatever.

The drop to E7200 shouldn't be a problem really, since I don't do much/anything that's using 4 cores. Lower clock will not be a huge issue since I'm pretty confident I can get it to 3.0 and as for cache... *shrug* we'll see what happens. I may go with a different dual core.

Not all micro boards have onboard graphics, and you can OC very well with this one from gigabyte, I used it in my GF's computer to get an E2180 to 3.0 on stock cooling.

RAID was more or less just fun to think about, I really don't care either way.

The LG Burner I saw was SATA so it shouldn't be a problem. Also had roughly the same access times as other more expensive ones, so I'm not too worried about that. I don't do much burning anyway, maybe 1 or 2 cd's every couple months or less.

I agree that I may be a bit limited in options if I choose lanbox, but I've read plenty of reviews of people putting 8800's and 9800's in them with slight modifications to the hard drive cages or various parts that may be in the way, so I don't think that will really be a stopping factor.

As for the noise issue of the lanbox, I know that a lot of them come with cheap/load fans, I'm not opposed to switching them out for decent ones really.

~~

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm trying to keep the cost for this around $650 or so, but I'm open to reasonable suggestions.

4850 is probably the best card in the <$200 price range. Since you are happy with it, keep it, and install a lesser card in the server box.

I agree, that a DUO will best serve your needs. I would consider a E8400. No need to overclock, but E7200 is ok too.

For a PSU, any unit from a quality vendor that has a 6 pin pcie connector should be able to deliver enough power to a 4850 and the other components.

Do you need the portability of a lanbox, or do you just want something smaller?
The problem with a lanbox is that the fans are usually small, meaning that they have to turn at high rpm's to get adequate cooling. Better fans help some, but will never be as good as slow turning 120mm fans. The 4850 or 4870 are not very long cards which should fit in a small case. They do get hot though, so good ventilation is a must.

If you just want a small case, Antec makes some nice ones, perhaps including a PSU. Most will have at least an earthwatts 380 which should be sufficient.
---good luck---

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the reply geo.

I'll definitely look into the e8400, was just having trouble seeing if it was worth the extra $70 vs the e7200. You make a good point though, no need to OC would be handy.

Glad also to see someone else who knows the power of Antec's 380 psu. :D

I really do need portability... looking at LAN'ing 2-3 times per month with a friend I have and it is not fun hauling around the P180 every time.

I know what you mean about smaller fans and such with their rpm's, I'm really torn right now on what case to go with for that reason. I want good cooling but don't want it to end up too big.

Even a mini tower might not be so bad as long as it was still small.

I'll keep looking I guess :)

Thanks again for the replies.

I had an Apevia X-QPACK2. The design was brilliant, but the execution sucked rotten eggs. The material was flimsy, the workmanship sad (a factory drone put a screw through the power switch lead), and the front panel had grounding / static issues. Cooling was excellent though, and the stock fans were also quiet. Naturally I tossed the included Apevia PSU in favor of a modular one (from Mushkin).

Look around for an Antec Super Lanboy. It is made of all aluminum and is very light. It comes with a carrying strap for portability. It is now discontinued, but you may be able to find one somewhere. It was my first case, and I still have it. I will probably put it on E-bay somtime when I accumulate enough other stuff to sell at the same time.

Another interesting case is the NZXT rogue. It is fairly compact with 120mm fans, but is only partially aluminum.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146044

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Looked at the Qpack but didn't like the bright colors. Also now that I hear what you say... probably won't be getting one.

I'll look into the lanboy from Antec.. I'd love to have another Antec case as they're amazingly built.

Rogue case is decent but seems like will be bigger than what I want.

Thanks for all the replies. Gotta get in touch with the guy looking to buy my computer, I'm torn between hoping he backs out, and being excited for this new build.

The X-QPACK2 is longer than the X-QPACK. I think it would make a difference. It is available in plain black, with no windows. Avoid it if you share my concerns, but perhaps its design can serve as a model for what you do choose.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Hmm maybe they've improved with age?

I'll certainly look into it. I'm really not a fan of windows and LED's and all that mess, I'd replace the fans in 90% of cases out there just for that reason.