FireMV 2400 Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntlknight

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hello, the ATI tech people just gave me the link to this forum and suggested I come here to get some help as the problems I'm having with this brand new ATI FireMV 2400 card are something they don't know how to help me with. I suspect it may be a simple compatability issue with the motherboard, but there is a small chance the video card is faulty.

I'm building a 4-monitor computer. The first component I decided on for this machine was the MV2400 (PCI-E x1 version because of the 256mb of RAM), then I bought the mobo/cpu/ram based on the video card (the mobo is the Intel DP45SG). I thought everything should be fine as the specs seemed to match what ATI was recommending. All the components for the computer arrived before the video card, so I set it all up and was just waiting for the card. I had been using an old PCI VGA card to set up the computer and install Windows. So, a few days ago the FireMV 2400 arrived in the mail. I eagerly installed it, but the computer would not boot or show a screen. I switched from PCI-E x1 port 1 to port 2, but still nothing. I took the card out, put the old PCI card back in (to get my image), went into the BIOS to make sure the PCI-E ports were enabled. I noticed at this point that the BIOS only showed 2 PCI-E slots...so I suspected that there was a possibility that the 2 PCI-E x1 slots were not being recognized by the BIOS...at least not for video display? All the PCI-E settings were correct in the BIOS, but still not screen...and no boot.

After about 45 minuets of trying everything I could think of, I broke
down and called ATI. They were helpful enough to do 15 minutes of tests to determine whether the problem was with the card of the mobo. The guy had me take out one of the 2 DIMMs of RAM...he had me unplug the
SATA HD, then had me take out all the RAM, etc...to see how the beep
sound (from the mobo) would be affected. ATI thought it was a mobo
issue and suggested a BIOS update. I hung up with them then called
Intel (the mobo: http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DP45SG/DP45SG-overview.htm) Intel were friendly and helpful, but did not have any ideas other than to try the card on another motherboard, or put another PCI-E x1 card into this mobo to test it. After another hour of back and forth as well as updating the BIOS and all other driver downloads they had, I still was getting no picture and the computer would hang at bootup whenever I had the card plugged in. I even tried plugging it into the 2 x16 slots with the same results. I noticed that on Intel's specs page for this mobo, under "Video" they don't even mention the 2 PCI-E x1 slots, they only mention that there are 2 PCI-E x16 slots for video.

I called Intel back to tell them about my suspicions, that I don't think the 2 PCI-E x1 slots on this motherboard are even being used or recognized by the BIOS for video cards. The tech didn't know what to say, his response was that he has hardly ever seen a PCI-E x1 video card, that they are very rare. He couldn't comment on the BIOS only having controls for 2 PCI-E slots, instead of 4. So I'm a bit stuck. My fear is that the Intel mobo isn't going to work as it doesn't seem the PCI-E x1 slots are being accessed for video cards. What to do? Do I move on to another motherboard?--and if so, which motherboard can I trust to have PCI-E x1 slots that work for video?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions very much. Is there a list of supported motherboards that are tried and proven for this video card? I spent more on this card than on both the motherboard and the Quad 4 CPU!

Thank you,

Nathan

jugstats

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nathan,

I have two new Dell systems and I bought the same FireMV 2400 pci-e x1 card and have tried to install it on both systems and am having the same problem. Have you fixed the problem or did you just get another card?

Thank you for your help.

Jade

ntlknight

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
The people I finally got the "correct" information from was a site (people that put trading computers together with these cards)...I called them and they told me right off that the newer Intel motherboards don't support this video card. They told me the right Intel board to get for this card...so I ended up buying a slightly older Intel board that totally works with the FireMV card. Problem solved...except I was left with an extra Intel mobo...so I put another machine together.

mondetta

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I have found that you need to disable all the other pci slots from using boot rom except for the main FireMV card. Also, once you get windows to boot, go find the latest drivers from their site. The CD that shipped witht he card had faulty drivers. Once I installed the driver from the ati site with full suite including the catalyst suite it booted up and ran nicely.

I am running dual FireMV 2400s in an HP xw8600 workstation and had many problems making everything run correctly.
The drivers from ati's website and making the computer boot with both cards was definately a timely process solving the issues one step at a time.

Hopefully this helps.
Good luck to you all.

I can be reached at mondetta@gmail.com

John G

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

It would have been great if you added in who the Trading Company was so I could contact them and ask them about issues with this card and the G45 intel chipset found on the new Dell Vostro 420's.

bennoz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi all,

Im having the exact same issue with a HP 7900 and a Firemv 2400 (256Mb)

I can get a HP boot screen but thats about it. I've tried all suggestions above & many other I've Googled, but to no avail. Has anyone else come across the problem & found a resolution?

Cheers,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.