Upgrade Advice - Work-At-Home Computer for Graphic work.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Dear Tom's Hardwarers,

I recently have been hired full time as a photographer and web-ad advertiser.

I've noticed that if I am doing several things at once, I have trouble with the speed of the computer, especially if I am exporting large number of files, which I do frequently.

So, I would like to upgrade my computer, either by just updating what I have, or by buying a barebones kit from somewhere and piecing it together with what I already have.

Speaking of which, here is what I already have:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario

Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz

Memory: 1280MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: RADEON X800 GTO (Opened up to 16 pipes)

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy

Hard Drive: 160gig (Need MUCH more)

As you can see I've updated the sound, graphics, RAM, and the powersupply.

I am looking for an economic solution. I am interesting in playing some games, but nothing crazy, so I don't want or need OVERKILL. Whatever can keep my Windows XP running fast when I am editing photos would be the best for me. I have a copy of XP (I believe it will run on even a 64 bit machine, right?)

Let me know your suggestions!

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The bottlenecks I'm looking at are the cpu, ram & harddisk. You don't need X800 for photography & web ads. Any onboard video is fine for these tasks. Unless you game &/or watch HD videos on the pc.

What's the exact model # & part # of the pc? Should be printed on a label on the pc.

64bit cpus are backward compatible with 32bit software. Don't bother with the os. Get the mobo specs & upgrade those parts I listed.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
How about this deal at Compusa:

Asus M2N-MX SE Plus AMD CPU • AMD Athlon 64 X2
4400+2.30GHz CPU

• PCI Express, USB 2.0,
Serial ATA, RAID

Can that work with this ram:

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel
DDR2 Memory – 4096MB
800MHz PC6400
• 2 x 2048MB

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
mobo specs:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1647&l1=3&l2=101&l3=345&l4=0

Looks right for a 2D pc. Looks like an updated version in that it now supports hi-def video & audio out of the box. Look at newegg's photo:

13-131-183-03.jpg

If your monitor supports DVI, get a $10 D-SUB TO DVI adapter. You most def. want the highest image quality possible for photography work.

Yup, the cpu/mobo combo will work with the ram. All AM2/2+ mobos use DDR2. Except for a few hybrid products from Asrock/ECS.

You also need to upgrade the harddisk to improve overall disk operation. For starters:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB

Or if you need larger which I suggest for your work:

Caviar, Spinpoint F1, Barracuda or Desktstar 7K 1TB

They're 320GB per platter which is newer than the old one and is faster. Either 640GB or 1TB. More at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Seagate-Barracuda-1-5-TB,2032-6.html

Those at the top would be best, but Raptor costs 2 arms & 2 legs.