computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Does anyone know when 10g networks are coming out and exactly what CAT cable they will use? My dad set up my home for 100mb network years ago when I was a little stupid kid playing Runescape... now he forgot how he wired everything, so instead of wiggling around and tracking cables, I decided to start from scratch and upgrade the network at the same time. I can't find any CAT 7 cables for sale... just CAT 6. No 10g switch/router either. I'm looking to use this network for 5 years ish, so if 10g isn't coming out any time soon.... I'll up my network to 1g. If I choose 1g, should I go CAT 5e or CAT 6? Does anyone have a 10g network right now?

Also, how reliable is data transfer over networks, in terms of corruption? I mean like transfering 100gigbytes, will I have a single bit that is wrong? And how important is buffer size/overload size when looking for a switch?

Ok last question: when I use a computer for p2p, internet browsing suddenly gets slow, even when there is no traffic other than internet browsing, but my torrents still go at full speed when I start them again. I reformat, and I can browse the internet again. Anyone know why this happens, or is it just me? And is p2p bad for my hard drive? I mean like it's reading/writing 24/7...

Solution

Upgrade your network to 1g if you feel it's necessary. 10g networks won't be...

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

Upgrade your network to 1g if you feel it's necessary. 10g networks won't be feasible/affordable for home networking for quite a while yet. You should have no problem using your existing cat5e cabling for a gig network. I rarely recommend Cat6 to home users, as it's typically an unnecessary expense. If you really think you need 10g, you should probably look at fiber instead of copper.

It should be perfectly reliable. That's how TCP connections work. Buffer size isn't of huge importance in a home environment that I've found. Before worrying about that, you'd probably want to be stepping up to some server NICs.

More than likely, you are saturating your upload speed with the filthy p2p stuff. That will, of course, slow your browsing experience to a crawl, but your downloads could still be speeding right along. And yes, anything that requires tons of hard drive activity will of course shorten the lifetime of the drive.

Solution

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

I mean like when I've got my p2p client off. No traffic but internet surfing. On a laptop, I set the buffer size of torrents to 50mb, but the HDD LED still flashes like once every 5 seconds.... so doesn't the buffer like prevent read/writes every 5 seconds? I'm aiming for stuffing everything in buffer so my hard drive doesn't have to move at all until my RAM is completely full. The computer will be at idle, so I won't need that much RAM :)

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ah...that's too bad, I have been searching for you...Most will only ship in the US. Do you have any local tech/computer stores around? You may want to check them, or their online catalog. Chances are they will only stock CAT5e and CAT6 standard, but there's a chance!

Good Luck.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

Yes!!!!!!!! I found cat6a's at NCIX!!!!!!!! Good ol' NCIX never lets me down :) best thing is I get free shipping if I buy a $10 NCIX gift card. Of course, I will be buying at NCIX again :)

IMHO NCIX is better than Newegg for Canadians, since Newegg doesn't have price match, and charges around a 10% handling fee, plus very expensive shipping. The only option is UPS. newegg.com has lots of free shipping, and even free shipping entire order. Unfortunately, newegg.ca doesn't :( Sry now this is getting off topic lol. I'm gonna buy the NCIX surprise special gigabit switch and some cat6a cables, I gotta relocate switch because longest one on NCIX is not long enough to basement from where my switch now is lol.

Thanks for all your help everyone! Topic closed :)

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Errr...you can cable all you want, you still don't have 10g performance without appropriate switches and NICs. If it's really that important to you, here's the NIC for your PC..I've used this one for some digital radiologic applications in my hospital, and it's performed fine.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=SMC-1010BT&c=fr&pid=f4878240fd0291ff5f1748e8a1172e1e642bd55edf98f80d12eb4fb12bd7da6c

And here's a switch for ya...
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8226442&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8226442

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

Those are both American sites, I believe. I'm in Canada, so first, it would be very incovenient, and second, the NIC costs the same as my PC ^.^ Don't even get to the switch, that's a monster. You've gotta be some rich hospital manager or something to afford that lol, it's like a month's salary. I'll settle for 1g for now, it doesn't look like 1g will get outdated (as in 10g gets affordable and popularized in households) anytime soon. I think I was too ambitious to get 10g... but thanks for all your help :)

The following will dissappoint rich guys like lotussama :p
I'm settling for a Netgear GS605 5 Port switch $25 with MIR and I've gotta chose between these cheap NIC's for my old computers
-Netgear - GA311 - 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Adapter (Recertified) $14 http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2844162&CatId=200
-TP-LINK TG-3269 10/100/1000 Gigabit NIC Network Adapter Card PCI $19 http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34519

For the first one, I've gotta drive around 14km up north to the retail branch and back... Hopefully they'll be open on Easter Monday :)