Sign in with
Your question

Pc wont boot up

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2010 1:00:33 AM

pc has one beep, before it happen theres a warning about clocking default. and when touch the cpu case there is electric shock. is there any way to make my pc working again?

More about : wont boot

January 13, 2010 2:09:49 AM

Have your power supply tested
January 13, 2010 3:00:19 AM

Sounds like something is short-circuiting. Check that your motherboard is not touching the case. If it isn't I would try simply rebuilding the computer.
Related resources
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 13, 2010 11:55:10 AM

edk128 said:
Sounds like something is short-circuiting. Check that your motherboard is not touching the case. If it isn't I would try simply rebuilding the computer.

No. Something is improperly grounded. That's not the same as a short circuit. The motherboard is supposed to touch (be grounded to) the case.

Try unplugging all of the PSU cables. Then plug the computer into the wall and turn on the PSU with the switch in back. If you still feel the shock, you know it has something to do with the case and PSU.

Try another AC power cord. The original may have a problem with the ground wire or connector. Try plugging the computer into another outlet. The one it's plugged into may be improperly wired.

Try unplugging all of the PSU cables. Then plug the computer into the wall and turn on the PSU with the switch in back. If you still feel the shock, you know it has something to do with the case and PSU.
January 30, 2010 11:26:25 PM

When I had a friend build my first computer, the motherboard wasn't properly seated to in the case. Some of the metal on the motherboard was touching the case and preventing it from booting. Isn't that a shortcircuit?
January 30, 2010 11:50:44 PM

I had the same problem from not using a standoff in one hole and accidentally screwed my mobo directly into the case. definitely caused some sparkage. Thank god for newegg RMA =)
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 31, 2010 11:15:44 AM

edk128 said:
When I had a friend build my first computer, the motherboard wasn't properly seated to in the case. Some of the metal on the motherboard was touching the case and preventing it from booting. Isn't that a shortcircuit?

Yes. That would be a short circuit. But that is different from something grounded improperly. The latter is supposed to be grounded.
!