Recover password

rahulnahata

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
hello tech heads...
i always wanted to knw the answer to this question.
suppose you have a laptop/desktop running windows xp and its password protected. i.e. once you boot up you need a password to access your files (administrator login password)..
if i forget that password.. in what ways (if at all!!) can i recover tht password...
and will the solution be different for laptops and desktops!!??

Forum Rules prevent posters helping on password issues but since your question is rhetorical the simple answer is if you forget the System Administrator account password, you have to reinstall Windows - simple as that. Desktop, laptop, XP, Vista or W7 - the answer is the same - even in Linux OS and Macs.

You can easily recover your password. Unlock the desk drawer in which you have stored the piece of paper on which you have kept a safe copy of your password. The rest is fairly straightforward.

Never use a computer system without keeping backup copies of all important data. Obviously, the password to access that system is fairly important.

The same solution applies to laptops, desktops, servers, and mainframes.

rahulnahata

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

good one...but what if u loose the key to ur drawer... what if ur life depended on it...anyway..i did some answers and they seem to work as well...anyways... thanks..

rahulnahata

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

allright... no more password related queries...

You have two keys to the drawer. You keep one in a safe place where it can't be lost. If you lose both keys - well, you deserve all that you get.

rahulnahata

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

lol...well ya..but it would be unfair to say someone deserves to suffer if he/she loose's both the keys...
but, i found the master key.. :)

thanks for ur time n reply. !

I'm more of a thermal lance man myself.

Seriously, though, I keep all my backup tapes in a cheap safe along with life's important papers. It's enough to protect them from a fire - the burglars are taken care of by the cat!