Sign in with
Your question

Worth the card upgrade? 2560 x 1600

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2008 1:55:16 AM

I posted this question on another forum but I want to see if your answers match what they said.
I have a 8800gts 640mb card right now and have been gaming on a 1920 x 1200 monitor for almost a year
with this card. Now I've upgraded to a "Samsung 305t plus" 30" monitor with 2560 x 1600 resolution. I
am considering upgrading to either a 4870 1gb card or else a gtx280. The 4870x2 is not in my price range so PLEASE
DONT SAY TO GET THAT. Also I dont have an SLI or Crossfire compatible board so that's not an option either. Which
card would you go with? Right now I only really play WoW mostly with some battlefield 2 in there too. In WoW i
like to have all the settings high and full 2560x1600 resolution. Even though i know wow isn't terribly graphics
intensive I it still gets lower frame rates than I'd like. Please let me know your opinions on what i should do. Also
are there any expected price drops coming?
Thanks,
Ryan
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2008 2:03:45 AM

You would notice some difference in upgrading the cards but tbh I dont think its worth it right now. I recommend that since you mostly play WOW to wait until the next big upgrade comes out and get a better card then,

Your card still has a lot of life left in it. You should try to OC the video card and the CPU if you havent already.

October 28, 2008 5:53:21 PM

Any other opinions? Any help would be appreciated.
Related resources
October 28, 2008 6:02:19 PM

bigbeef2604 said:
Any other opinions? Any help would be appreciated.

Well both ATI and Nvidia will have new graphics cards coming out shortly. Nvidia will have the GT206 in about 3 months. Source: http://rumorfeed.blogspot.com/.

Wait it out, because the prices will go down when the new board hits.

Also if that is too long, wait until after X-mas and get a nice discount on current cards. Most stores will drop prices just before and after the X-mas rush.

I would seriously wait a few months and get the 4870X2 after Nvidia releases it's refresh, since it will most likely force the X2 to go down in price.

Take it from me, I am disappointed with my 280, since my friends 4870X2 is a much better card... And I paid about $200 bucks more for my 280 than he did for his X2. That will teach me to jump on the "best" as soon as it comes out.
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 28, 2008 8:17:43 PM

Patience, as they say, is a virtue. Stick with the 8800. With a little luck you`ll be able to pick up a post Christmas bargain.
Do n`t wait for refreshes. If I did that I`d still be playing with my TNT2 card waiting for the `next best thing` to arrive.

Go for the HD4870 1Gb, at your resolution, you`ll need the extra memory.
October 28, 2008 9:06:41 PM

280 GTX, 4870 1 gig or the 4870 X2 should be ur only choices if you want to see any future in gaming. Although its not gauranteed it would be more of a chance than the rest of the cards.

P.S

Don't be fooled by weaker cards getting the extra ram (4850 1 gig). Although it might help for 1-3 frames, it certainly does not have the over all raw power needed to show off it's ram;) happy hunting!
!