Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Sound via Graphics Card HDMI ??

Last response: in Components
December 24, 2008 10:04:07 AM

Hi,

I have an Asus EAH4550 video card, in a P5Q Pro motherboard with onboard Realtek audio. Is there any way I can get that audio output directed through the HDMI port on the video card, so I only need once connection from PC to screen?

The Realtek audio manager lists an HDMI output, and windows "Playback Devices" shows two HDMI devices, one Realtek and one Microsoft. None of these make any sound. The only way I can get sound out of the screen (HP w2228h) is by connecting to the "Line Out" green jack on the PC and selecting "Speakers" as the default.

Does there need to be a hard-wired connection between the card and the motherboard?

All this is in Vista Home Premium, I have dual-boot 64 and 32 bit installations.

Thanks, Tony S
December 24, 2008 8:58:34 PM

Make sure you have the most up to date catalyst drivers as they will contain drivers for the audio component.

On the PCB of the gpu is there a 2 pin header? This is generally used to connect a cable to the soundcard (in this card onboard motherboard) to passthrough the audio

EDIT: Stupid quick edit wont work... Had a bit more of a look, in your motherboard manual 2-32 is the S/PDIF passthrough header should go into your gpu somewhere
December 24, 2008 9:10:18 PM

The ATI card dosent have a SPDIF connection, they dont even come with the cable. Only the Nvidia models do. Ive never seen a ATI card with a hard-wired audio connection.
Related resources
December 24, 2008 11:01:31 PM

Interesting, how does it enable passthrough then? Must have to use an onboard audio chip
December 24, 2008 11:24:50 PM

Yes, the ATI cards have had onboard 5.1 audio since the HD 2000 series. Can pass through HDMI or DVI.
December 27, 2008 5:08:25 PM

Thanks everyone. It never occurred to me that the ATI board would have its own sound capability, but that set me on the right track. Now I know, you can see fleeting references to this in the product description, but no drivers or other useful info on how to enable it on either Asus or ATIs web sites.

I found a driver quite well hidden on Realtek's site, for "Realtek ATI HDMI" or something similar (the site now times out, so I can't refresh my memory).

With that installed, my second HDMI device is now named "Realtek HMDI Output" and subtitled "ATI HDMI Audio". That works !

To avoid confusion I've disabled the other Realtek HDMI output that does nothing at all. I assume that refers to the motherboard audio, but there's no motherboard HDMI socket so goodness knows what that's used for.

Full marks to ATI for including this function, but major black marks to both ATI and Asus for making it so ridiculously difficult to enable.

Tony S
!