New external hard drive

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hi,
I want to get an external hard drive but am not sure what to get. I found a 1TB and a 500GB one for both 80 euro. The links are www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=499192 and www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=572846. What are the differences if they are both the same price but of different capacities?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Is it sure that it will work with my computer?
Would it also be possible to install games on it as that is what is using the most place on my pc?
I only need it for extra space so should I just get an internal drive?
Would it be possible to transfere everything on my old internal dirve to the new one (about 270GB) without too much bother?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That Seagate 1 TB unit is SATA II, so if you have SATA ports on your motherboard, you most certainly can install one of these inside your case as a second drive. External units are ideal as backup systems, but you say you are not looking for that - you just want more drive space.

You have a VERY common need and there is a very common process for that. It is called Cloning. The specific need is to upgrade your machine to a much larger hard drive in such a way that the new unit receives ALL of your OS, applications, data, - everything! - and completely takes over the functions of your C: boot drive. This leaves you with a "spare" drive - your original unit. Manufacturers of drives love to sell you a new large unit and help you for free to make the transition. The unit pshoah linked to is by Seagate, so if you buy one of theirs go to the Seagate website and download their free utility called Disk Wizard. Install it on your old drive, and install the new drive in your machine. Then you run the Disk Wizard package to make a Clone. You have to set some choices as you do that. For example, you should choose NOT to use the default setting that simply makes a Partition on the new drive the same size as your old drive - instead, set it to use ALL of the larger drive's space in one volume or "drive". Read the instructions on Disk Wizard to see what you will need to adjust. What it will do is to copy to the new drive (adjusting size etc. as you choose) absolutely EVERYTHING from your old drive and make the new one bootable. Then you shut down and I recommend you disconnect the old drive - both data and power cables - and reconnect the new drive in the same place the old one was plugged in (assuming they both are SATA units). When you boot up your machine will look and run the same, except that your C: drive will have a LOT more Free Space. LATER, after you are sure it is all working as you want, you can reconnect the old drive and use Disk Wizard or Windows' own Disk Management tools to Delete its old Partition and Create a new one that is not bootable, then format it so that the old drive becomes a useful second data storage device.

If you buy a unit from WD instead, their free tools package is called Acronis True Image WD Edition. In fact, both this and the Seagate tool are customized versions of Acronis True Image. Other hard drive makers have similar tools on their websites, but check on that and be sure you can get the free utility you need for the hard drive unit you buy.

Oh, one thing to check on before you start. Any hard drive over 137 GB requires a feature called "48-bit LBA" to be used. That is built into ALL SATA drives and controllers. On the Windows OS side, Win XP did NOT have it in the very first version released, but it was added with its Service Pack 1 and is included in all versions thereafter. So, IF you have only original Win XP with NO Service Packs installed, or an earlier OS, you MUST update your OS currently on your old hard drive BEFORE you go through the installation and cloning onto a new large drive. But if you have at least SP1 installed on XP, or have Vista or Win 7, this is NOT a problem, so ignore it.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I have vista home premium but would my psu be powerful enough? It is a Cosair W400. I have the saphire HD 4850 graphics card. The rest is the same as I bought it (a6332.uk). Link for specifications is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01366686&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3673789.
P.S.The processor is quad core, how do I see how many Ghz it has?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A hard drive does not use a lot of power. At the very minimum, replacing your current drive with a new one will not increase your power consumption - even the large-capacity current drives tend to use no more power than older smaller ones. And having both HDD's in use probably is OK, too.

For your processor speed, watch the start-up POST messages as they fly by. Usually they tell you the speed in GHz.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Would there be a better drive than this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=478452?
Would I need the external inclosure if I am replacing my old internal hard drive?
How could I check if I have a spare SATA port?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I am not sure if my last post was sent or not (I can see it in the last post section but not on the thread). Here it is again anyways:
Would there be a better drive than this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=478452?
Would I need the external inclosure if I am replacing my old internal hard drive?
How could I check if I have a spare SATA port?
Sorry if you can see both posts.