Sign in with
Your question

Why is ati so difficult. or is it just me

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2010 5:54:58 AM

so i bought 2x 5850 shapphire card and ive been breaking my head trying to overclock them, why is it that ati feels it has to gib the overclocking community if its willing to take the risk, or am i missing something? im trying to oc my car and i cant because ccc keep throttling my *** trying to save power, likr if it was paying the bills and that causes instability not to mention that it resets all my values back down to shittyness. so i tried getting rid of ccc but then i cant activate crossfire without it... so why make it so difficult, or once again correct me if im wrong, i tried installing att but it keeps giving me something about unsigned drivers or some ***, so anyone got any other ideas? or should i set my pc on fire and let renters insurance pay me back...

More about : ati difficult

January 13, 2010 5:56:46 AM

i mean is it too much to ask for an Option that says no i dont wanna conserve energy let me oc my ***?
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 12:17:52 PM

It's you and not the cards, ATI, or the Catalyst Control Center.

Just enable overclocking in the ATI Overdrive section.

Yes, it is that easy...
Related resources
January 13, 2010 12:50:44 PM

Also, ATI throttle the cards no matter what you set it, you have to run a benchmark (think, vantage) in order to push them, no matter what setting you set, they should still ALL go back to their lower power state

I have a 5870 running at 885 / 1300 when in a game, but it drops to like 1xx and 800 when i'm sitting in desktop.
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 13, 2010 2:05:41 PM

I vote you should send the cards to me and set the rest on fire : )

But seriously the other posters are right, even if you OC your cards, when in 2D mode they will underclock themselves to try and save energy, but as soon as you launch a game or benchmark the cards will go into 3D mode.
January 13, 2010 3:14:30 PM

yeah, sure they slightly overcloth themselves to what 775mhz core 1100 memory (5850). when i can do so much more with like afterbuner.. if i wanted a card to run cool with a fan i wouldnt have gotten watercooling for them, i was expecting more freedom to adjust the settings to where i want, like my cpu or ram. i was able to get the card to not throttle by flashing a different bios but then i lose crossfire support, the messed up part is it still runs more fps than when crossfired in the benchmarks! if only there was some code that would enable me to engage crossfire while using the unlocked bios, thatd be perfect, i hear att can do it but i cant even get the program to run on windows sooo w/e, this is all besides the point because i shouldnt have to go through such difficulties to do what i want with my hardware
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 7:57:11 PM

uRSALOG said:
yeah, sure they slightly overcloth themselves to what 775mhz core 1100 memory (5850). when i can do so much more with like afterbuner.. if i wanted a card to run cool with a fan i wouldnt have gotten watercooling for them, i was expecting more freedom to adjust the settings to where i want, like my cpu or ram. i was able to get the card to not throttle by flashing a different bios but then i lose crossfire support, the messed up part is it still runs more fps than when crossfired in the benchmarks! if only there was some code that would enable me to engage crossfire while using the unlocked bios, thatd be perfect, i hear att can do it but i cant even get the program to run on windows sooo w/e, this is all besides the point because i shouldnt have to go through such difficulties to do what i want with my hardware
I think your expectation are too high regarding the physical and actual capabilities of the the cards themselves. The fact is, the gpus are binned and clocked close to their limits to start with and given that you can even squeak an extra 20-50MHz out of the gpu and memory is a very cool thing to start with. Heck, it wasn't until 3-4 years ago that you could even overclock your video card let alone overclock them as easily as we can today. And, let's not even get into the warranty issues by being able to flash whatever gpu BIOS or allow for the tweaks you are looking for.

Honestly though, it seems to me that you want your cake and be able to eat it too, I think you need to lower your expectations.

January 14, 2010 1:08:01 AM

NEVERR. if the car can be overclocked then is must, warranties and all that is all nonsense to me, i couldnt care less about it, hell the very existence of this forum is agains it all, overclocking itself is voising the warranty of every piece of hardware of my machine, sure my i7 920 ist "supposed" to be at 4ghz but it is, my ram isnt supposed to be ocd either but it is, im not so much disappointed at the limits set by ati themselves but at the lack of support from the overclocking community the drivers arent what keep adjusting my voltage and tada theres a bios now that doesnt regulate the voltage from the card, and we figured out how to remove the limits that reset ati afterburner by changing a value in the cfg file so how is it we hanve been able to hack off the piece of code from ccc to enable crossfire? it doesnt seem so daunting...
January 14, 2010 1:09:22 AM

and i know youre gonna say, "if its so easy why dont you do it" well i dont know how, but ill start working on it haha, got some reading to do ><
January 14, 2010 1:12:10 AM

Have you tried using AMD GPU Clock Tool or rivatuner or ati tray tools
January 14, 2010 1:15:30 AM

i know i made a lot of mistakes so heres the list *card mispelled *voiding mispelled and the name is msi afterburner and there is a bios out there called MSI_R5850_unlock.. that works on ati 5850s and doesnt throttle the voltage can be flashed with winflash directly from winflash. in msi afterburner if you go into the file location and open the cfg file with notepad you can change the value of EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0 from 0 to 1 and thatll keep your values from resetting and as high as you want the only missing link is some kind of application or package to enable crossfire without ccc or even a ccc that doesnt autotune your card or somethign of the sort
January 14, 2010 1:18:46 AM

yes i dont know if its 64 bit windows(which i doubt because ive read others have succeeded with it) or my cards form sapphire but it always says no ati products detected for amd gpu clock tool. i havent downloaded rivatuner will write when i get it but i dont have very high hopef for being able to enable crossfire from there *cross fingers* i know msi afterburner is based on rivatuner says it on the app. and att will not load drivers because windows says theyre unsigned and dangerous booogaaboogabooga :p  i did disable windows protector too, still woudlnt go
January 14, 2010 1:59:20 AM

Hmm im using Amd gpu clock tool on my sapphire 5870.
January 14, 2010 2:17:48 AM

are you on 64 or 32 bit windows? and what version 7 or vista?
January 14, 2010 3:04:09 AM

i updated to windows 7 just now and i can open amd gpu tool, seems kinda pointless tho its pretty much a underpolished version of msi afterburner imo
January 14, 2010 12:03:55 PM

Yea its a simple program, and im using windows 7 64
January 14, 2010 7:56:08 PM

cant really enable crossfire from it im looking for eiter a program to kill ccc's power saver throttling or to completely replace ccc and enable crossfire
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2010 12:54:58 AM

Wow, dual 5850's and you are trying to overclock? They are not enough at stock speeds? I mean it would not hurt to OC the cards but IMO those cards will run anything you throw at them at stock clocks...
January 15, 2010 5:53:12 PM

so to answer your question, YES IT IS YOU. just run xfire and dont worry about overclocking or throttling, when the time comes that those two cards in xfire need the extra power to run a game, they'll most likely be out dated by newer cards lol and when that time comes, buy new cards. just my 2c
January 16, 2010 12:00:20 AM

i hunger, for more power, idc lol, and msix yes you make a good point but im thinking about the now and here and i want more now i dont care about fps gains i care about super high stable overclocking for the sake of overclocking games are just a bonus to me.
January 16, 2010 1:35:14 AM

well GL to you then, maybe things will look up for you when new drivers come out
January 16, 2010 3:58:50 AM

good news on this front, i overclocked my card some more and it appears if you overclock it high enough it kicks off the throttling so yay! and with my water cool rig it doesnt dramatically alter the tems, highers it got was 59 degrees c settings are 999mhz core 1205mhz memory @ 1299mV
January 18, 2010 2:00:18 AM

Good that you got it overclocked and all, but...

uRSALOG said:
NEVERR. if the car can be overclocked then is must, warranties and all that is all nonsense to me, i couldnt care less about it, hell the very existence of this forum is agains it all, overclocking itself is voising the warranty of every piece of hardware of my machine, blah blah blah

You seem to have missed the point of what chunkymonster told you. When they create the chips, they pick out the ones that will run stable and fine at the specifications of a 5850 for the 5850s. However, there are times when through other occurrences, such as them having met quota for chips on the 5870s, the 58550s will end up with higher grade chips that of course are set to the 5850 clock speeds. Then, of course, if you get one of those, you can pretty easily overclock it up to higher speeds.

BUT. It is not MEANT for that, even if you have the tools. By buying a 5850, you run the 'risk' of getting chips that have their highest clock speed at, or just above 5850 stock.

You seem to be thinking that every piece of hardware innately comes with the potential to overclock huge amounts that it it's software holding you back. It's always possible it's the hardware holding you back, because you chose to buy that hardware. If you had bought 5870s and were getting clock speeds of 5850s, this would be an understandable complaint. However, you bought 5850s, cards with a superior single GPU card above them, and are complaining.

Soo... Yeah. /rant
January 18, 2010 5:09:46 AM

meh im done with this argument anyhow i have both my cards runing crossfire and overclocked stable at 1156mV 956core 1250 sooo leave me alone :p  how do i close thses threads?
January 18, 2010 3:15:19 PM

Kelavarus said:
Good that you got it overclocked and all, but...

You seem to have missed the point of what chunkymonster told you. When they create the chips, they pick out the ones that will run stable and fine at the specifications of a 5850 for the 5850s. However, there are times when through other occurrences, such as them having met quota for chips on the 5870s, the 58550s will end up with higher grade chips that of course are set to the 5850 clock speeds. Then, of course, if you get one of those, you can pretty easily overclock it up to higher speeds.

BUT. It is not MEANT for that, even if you have the tools. By buying a 5850, you run the 'risk' of getting chips that have their highest clock speed at, or just above 5850 stock.

You seem to be thinking that every piece of hardware innately comes with the potential to overclock huge amounts that it it's software holding you back. It's always possible it's the hardware holding you back, because you chose to buy that hardware. If you had bought 5870s and were getting clock speeds of 5850s, this would be an understandable complaint. However, you bought 5850s, cards with a superior single GPU card above them, and are complaining.

Soo... Yeah. /rant

err dude, the 5850 have disabled texture units and what not that's unlikely to be enabled by simple OCing eh (compared to the 5870), the only times this have happened is like on the 4890 and 4870, where the 4890 offers higher stock speeds and they at times do this to fill orders for the 4870 (nice bonus rofl)
February 15, 2010 1:17:30 AM

I think graphics card manufactures should start making cards that have "Turbo Boost"!!!!!!

Hahaa
!