How to migrate a raid 5 from one xp file server to another identical

This depends entirely on what kind of RAID hardware or software you're using. Some may automatically initialize the drives when you configure a RAID-5 set, so just moving the drives is very risky unless you know for sure that you can configure a set AND preserve the data on it.

The safest way to do it is to set up the new server with an empty RAID-5 set of equivalent or larger size and then just copy the data from one server to another.

migue7

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

Hi: Thank You for your response.

I have 6 500GB sata disk in raid5, HighPoint RocketRAID 1820A. Actualy I am not moving the raid at all. I just need to replace the Hard Drive with the windows system. (this is a 80 gb ide hard disk conneted to the mother board ide controler and, I already conneted it to promise ide controler and still have the problem)

After butting up it give me this error massage "drvlnst.exe encounter a plroblem and needed to close" It stop reponding after a few minutes, and I think the hard disk is bad or has a virus.

I also tried intalling two different antivirus, but it will not let me intall one and the other will not start.
(this file server was not connetted to the web, that's why I did not had it with antivirus.

migue7

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

Thank You, for your help.

Miguel

I just found out that this file drvinst.exe is an executable file created by RocketRAID. I opened a support ticket with them.